Q. My mother (80 years old) got hemiparalysis attack. She feels and talks as if she were in her twenties.

Dr. Ananth S
Published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 08, 2018

Dear doctor,

My mother (80 years old) got a hemiparalysis attack last week. She has developed a mental disorder. She feels and talks as she were in her twenties. Kindly diagnose.

Dr. Ananth S

Andrology Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy
#

Stroke in elderly people, especially resulting in residual weakness, paralysis or other motor sensory deficits, invariably leads to a major depressive episode that may not improve on its own.

Silliness, childishness, and immature behaviors are consistent with mental regression that accompanies depression in elderly people. A prompt evaluation by a psychiatrist followed by antidepressant medication is recommended.

One other thing, caregivers of such stroke-afflicted depressed elderly patients are also prone to get depressed.

Can I take antidepressants only when needed and not continuously?

Query: Hello doctor, I have depression. But for some reason, I do not want to take antidepressants. I have been taking it for the past one year. And have stopped it. But sometimes I get very depressed. Can I take my antidepressant like Desvenlafaxine sometimes? As needed? Or maybe any other antidepressant ...  Read Full »

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article

How does diet help in mental health conditions?

Query: Hi doctor, How does diet help in mental health conditions such as depression and anxiety? I would like to discuss the success of incorporating diet in mental health treatment.  Read Full »