Q. Can I take antidepressants only when needed and not continuously?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
Published on Jul 19, 2018

I have depression. But for some reason, I do not want to take antidepressants.

I have been taking it for the past one year. And have stopped it. But sometimes I get very depressed.

Can I take my antidepressant like Desvenlafaxine sometimes? As needed?

Or maybe any other antidepressant which I can take a couple of times and then be antidepressants free?

#

You have not mentioned the severity of your depression. If you have the first episode of depression. and you were stable on medication for more than six months then you can try to stop the medication.

But if you have again depression then you need to take medication. You also try to manage your depression by non-pharmacology management. like, take daily 7 to 8 hours of sound sleep, avoid junk food and eat healthy home cooked food, avoid cold drinks and any types of alcohol or smoking or drugs.

Do the daily exercise for 30 to 40 minutes like swimming, walking, etc. Do daily meditation for 10 to 15 minutes, eat fruits and vegetables, lose your weight.

Try to take a daily cold shower in mornings, spend time on good hobbies like reading books, write a diary, painting, etc. Be active in your life, do not just spend life, live your life. Be confident and bold, spend quality time with family and close friends, avoid staying alone.

Do the investigations like CBC, TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), vitamin B12, these abnormalities may lead you to depression.

And your weight is really 90 kg, then you must have to lose your weight. It will help you to deal with your depression. But you need to take medication if still, you have depression.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Can antidepressants cause low sex drive?

Query: Hi doctor, I have no sex drive whatsoever and cannot obtain an orgasm. Please help.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query with due interest and understand your concerns. Low sex drive is a common symptom of a variety of medical and psychiatric disorders. Before I speculate anything about it I need you to answer a few questions in detail. Mention the duration of the pro...  Read Full

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. K Sneha

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article