Q. How does diet help in mental health conditions?

How does diet help in mental health conditions such as depression and anxiety? I would like to discuss the success of incorporating diet in mental health treatment.

Do you have a question on Role Of Diet In Mental Disorder or Depression?

Ask a Doctor Now

MBBS., MD PSYCHIATRY
Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology

• Some research studies prove the role of diet in mental disorder mainly mood disorders like depression and anxiety disorders.
  • In general, diets rich in proteins especially aromatic amino acid proteins, complex carbohydrates and low fats help to improve serotonergic neurotransmission in the brain and thus contribute to reducing depression and anxiety. Animal foods like meat, eggs, milk and curd are an excellent source of proteins.
  • Diets rich in omega 3 fatty acids are advised to the patients of depression and other psychiatric disorders. Walnuts, salmon fish, sardine fish, etc., are the rich source of these fatty acids. These diets supplement the actions of the antidepressants and help in quicker recovery.
  • The role of vitamin B12 gone unrecognized for years in mental disorders. Vitamin B12 levels are found in lower range especially in vegetarians or who avoid animal foods.
  • Lower B12 levels are responsible for increased risk of some mental disorders like anxiety, phobias and depression. Diets rich in vitamin B12 like animal foods, curd and milk help to improve the response of medicines.
  • For improving mental health treatment, diets rich in vitamin B12, omega 3 fatty acids and aromatic amino acid proteins will help.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities
Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity.  Read Article »
Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every co ...  Read Article »

Postpartum Depression
Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression.  Read Article »
Dr. K Sneha

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress ...  Read Article »

What should I do to concentrate in my studies?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a student. When I sit for study, I just start feeling distractions from small noises and things. Most of the time, I go to imaginations of things I want to create and sometimes, I suddenly start daydreaming about different kinds of thoughts. Sometimes, I start to remember about pa...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. The recurrent distractibility could be occurring due to anxiety and should be evaluated. Intrusive thoughts during studying result in distraction. If remembering the things related to the past and imagining things are causing distress, then...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now