Hemolysis

Why does my hemoglobin level remain the same with blood infusion?

Query: Hello doctor, My hemoglobin level is low. My ferritin level is at high 959.7 mg/ml. My hemoglobin levels is same even after taking three units of blood in the last month. It is still 6 g/dl. Last month my is ESR 32 and now it is 110, platelet count 128000 last month and now it is 60000, WBC count 43...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and following is my opinion for your asked question. In your attached report, reticulocyte count and bilirubin level are high. Ferritin is also high. Liver and spleen enlarged in USG (ultra...  Read Full »

Can you please confirm my friend's diagnosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a general practitioner. I would like to consult with you regarding my friend, who has a normochromic normocytic anemia. His hemoglobin is currently 7.5. His diagnosis is not clear. I have all his laboratory data and bone marrow biopsy as well as aspiration if you want. He used to tak...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. One thing for sure is that he is having periodic hemolysis with adequate bone marrow response and he has a severe vitamin B12 deficiency. His corrected RPI (reticulocyte production index) is 2.7%, which means that his bone marrow is responding to the anemia appropriat...  Read Full »

Why is my bilirubin level a bit higher?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old male, weigh 90 kg, height is 182, non-smoker, non-alcohol drinker. I do not have any symptoms or signs, normal eye, and skin color. I am taking Cipralex 15 mg for the past one year. Had a history of bladder stone and it required admission for one week until it passe...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If Mmol means micron mol, then it is fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like a normal variant of hyperbilirubinemia. Most common cause of the condition is hemolysis, Gilbert syndrome is also a common cause of such a situation. In both the co...  Read Full »

Mine and my wife's blood group is B. Will it cause any problem in our married life?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife's and mine blood groups are the same. Both of our blood group is B. Will there be any problem in our married life?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two major blood group systems. ABO - According to this system, the blood group can be A, B, O, AB.  Rh system - According to this system, the blood group can be Rh positive or negative. You have not mentioned th...  Read Full »

Can you see the attached CBC report, and let me know if there is anything serious ?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife's iron and ferritin were low, so the doctor ordered CBC. CBC showed low WBC, high monocytes, and high RBC, which is what made us scared. She has schistocytes and elliptocytes among other RBC morphologies. We read about it and are very worried, and she had a C-section three years...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your wife's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The report shows schistocytes, which are fragmented RBC (red blood cell), commonly seen in hemolytic anemia. So, to rule out hemolysis, serum LDH (lactate dehydrogenase), ret...  Read Full »

What is the reason for change in liver function tests? Taking Concor 5 mg for High BP.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 45 year old male. I have recently checked my blood test and my liver function test shows 1.6 total bilirubin, 0.6 direct bilirubin and 0.9 indirect bilirubin. What might be the problem? I have high blood pressure and fatty liver. My current medication includes Covance 25 mg, Conco...  Read Full »

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

Nephrologist, Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Considering your indirect bilirubin being high (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is generally a sign of hemolysis (breakdown of red blood cells). Did you have a recent fever? You also have fatty liver, which may also cause this. I would su...  Read Full »