Q. Does excess clearing of throat cause blood in sputum?

Published on Jul 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2019

had pneumonia two years ago and I have recovered from it after taking antibiotics for 10 days. Two months back, I had bronchitis and a milder form of pneumonia. After a week of antibiotics I felt much better. Now, my main concern is that I have excessive phlegm with some traces of blood as I am doing sports. I am concerned, but at the same time I am not coughing. But I feel the need of clearing my throat quite often. I have good energy and I take vitamins during the day. Could vitamin B12, D complex, vitamin C, NAC and Omega 3 influence my situation? Is this normal? I have attached the x-ray of my lungs, which was done two months ago at the time of diagnosis of bronchitis and pneumonia.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

• Bronchitis itself can cause blood in sputum (hemoptysis). This happens due to rupture of minute blood vessels due to excessive coughing.
  • In such case, it is very important to rule out any pneumonia, tuberculosis and lung malignancy.
  • The supplements you have mentioned will not cause it. I would need the following details.
  1. Since when are you having hemoptysis? How many times a day?
  2. Is there any weight loss?
  3. What medicines you have been taking for bronchitis?
  4. Have you got your recent chest x-ray?

Revert with the details to a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

I only have hemoptysis when I do sports that is once a day if I work out. I believe it has been for about ten days. I do not have any weight loss and I am not taking any medicines as I finished my antibiotics a month ago. I have sent you the only x-ray that I have. I do not cough during the day. I do not have fatigue and feel good in general.

#

• It seems that you have hemoptysis due to excessive coughing only. You should take a cough suppressant like Codeine for a few days.
  • If your problem persists, you would need to get hemogram with erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), prothrombin time, sputum for acid- fast bacilli (AFB), chest x-ray and x-ray of the sinuses.
  • If there is any fever associated, you would require broad spectrum antibiotics like Amoxicillin and Azithromycin.
  • If all these are because of allergy, then you would require taking an anti-allergic like Levocetirizine and do steam inhalation. Please share my opinion with your doctor.

Revert back after the tests to a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

In chest x-ray, what is the meaning of bilateral apical inhomogeneities?

Query: Hi doctor, I have applied for a job in abroad. I was asked to get a complete medical checkup. In the chest x-ray report, it was mentioned as bilateral apical inhomogeneities. What does it mean?  Read Full »

My cough lasted only for a week and the doctor says it is tuberculosis.Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, There is parenchymal infiltrate on the right upper lobe of my lung. My doctor said that I have a ptb3, which looks like a serious stage of tuberculosis. I was shocked because I never had a cough since September. Before the month of September, my cough lasted only for a week and then su...  Read Full »

I have serious sleep paralysis with shortness of breath. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having serious sleep paralysis. In it I feel like I can move my muscle a bit like slightly moving my finger or speaking short words like "maa". But I think I am hallucinating that too. Plus I am having acute bronchitis in this case and have to breathe through the mouth. So I have...  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now