Q. Does excess clearing of throat cause blood in sputum?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2019

had pneumonia two years ago and I have recovered from it after taking antibiotics for 10 days. Two months back, I had bronchitis and a milder form of pneumonia. After a week of antibiotics I felt much better. Now, my main concern is that I have excessive phlegm with some traces of blood as I am doing sports. I am concerned, but at the same time I am not coughing. But I feel the need of clearing my throat quite often. I have good energy and I take vitamins during the day. Could vitamin B12, D complex, vitamin C, NAC and Omega 3 influence my situation? Is this normal? I have attached the x-ray of my lungs, which was done two months ago at the time of diagnosis of bronchitis and pneumonia.

#

• Bronchitis itself can cause blood in sputum (hemoptysis). This happens due to rupture of minute blood vessels due to excessive coughing.
  • In such case, it is very important to rule out any pneumonia, tuberculosis and lung malignancy.
  • The supplements you have mentioned will not cause it. I would need the following details.
  1. Since when are you having hemoptysis? How many times a day?
  2. Is there any weight loss?
  3. What medicines you have been taking for bronchitis?
  4. Have you got your recent chest x-ray?

Revert with the details to a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

I only have hemoptysis when I do sports that is once a day if I work out. I believe it has been for about ten days. I do not have any weight loss and I am not taking any medicines as I finished my antibiotics a month ago. I have sent you the only x-ray that I have. I do not cough during the day. I do not have fatigue and feel good in general.

#

• It seems that you have hemoptysis due to excessive coughing only. You should take a cough suppressant like Codeine for a few days.
  • If your problem persists, you would need to get hemogram with erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), prothrombin time, sputum for acid- fast bacilli (AFB), chest x-ray and x-ray of the sinuses.
  • If there is any fever associated, you would require broad spectrum antibiotics like Amoxicillin and Azithromycin.
  • If all these are because of allergy, then you would require taking an anti-allergic like Levocetirizine and do steam inhalation. Please share my opinion with your doctor.

Revert back after the tests to a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|