Hemoptysis

Can blood in sputum be caused by excess clearing of throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I had pneumonia two years ago and I have recovered from it after taking antibiotics for 10 days. Two months back, I had bronchitis and a milder form of pneumonia. After a week of antibiotics I felt much better. Now, my main concern is that I have excessive phlegm with some traces of bl...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Bronchitis itself can cause blood in sputum (hemoptysis). This happens due to rupture of minute blood vessels due to excessive coughing. In such case, it is very important to rule out any pneumonia, tuberculosis and lung malignancy. The supplements you have mentioned will...  Read Full »

What support should be given before onset of hypercapnia in a TB patient?

Query: Hello doctor,I have TB disease, type1 respiratory failure. Oxygen was given, oxygenation improves but falls to LVL on presentation. What support should be given before the onset of hypercapnia? I have dry cough for two weeks, blood in sputum, fever, sweating and weight loss.  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you said, the patient has TB, hypoxia is more common which leads to type 1 respiratory failure. So only supplemental oxygen is not enough. We should start noninvasive ventilation as early as possible before hypercarbia sets in. So the possible options for NIV are ...  Read Full »

I am getting blood in cough. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am getting blood in cough. What should I do? Please suggest some medicine.  Read Full »

Dr. Madathupalayam Madhankumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The question is what and where the blood is coming from (hemoptysis). For people with a prolonged cough, you can sometimes have a small tear in tissues which leads to a very small amount of blood. This is something that would happen after multiple days of severe coughin...  Read Full »

I have hemoptysis. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I have hemoptysis.  Read Full »

Dr. Chitrangada

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hemoptysis is referred to as blood in the sputum/cough. If you are having such symptoms the following workup is recommended: Chest X-ray (PA). Complete blood count and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate). If you have already done a chest X-ray, do upload the im...  Read Full »