Common "Hepatitis C" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Hepatitis C

Hepatitis C is a viral liver infection caused by the Hepatitis C virus. This virus spreads when contaminated blood enters an uninfected person's bloodstream. The symptoms include easy bruising, poor appetite, jaundice, dark urine, pale stools, abdominal pain, and itchy skin.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Can I suffer from hepatitis C even if my hepatitis test reports are negative?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had a complete lab test with my primary care provider in which my alanine transaminase (ALT) was 60 units per liter. My gamma globulin returned at 3.3 g/dL, and Sjogren's anti-SSA and anti-SSB levels were more than eight units per mL. The rheumatoid factor level was 34.2 IU ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohamad Ali Rida

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I doubt you have hepatitis C because the test is negative. It is common to have Sjogren's syndrome with positive anti-SSA (Sjogren's syndrome A), anti-SSB (Sjogren's syndrome B), and rheumatoid factor (RF). It all depends on your symptoms. Do you experience dryness i...  Read Full »

Does Hepatitis C cause bruising and abnormal sensations?

Query: Hello doctor, I have Hepatitis C. I got to know that I had it about a month ago. I noticed bruising on my leg but I have been drinking natural things and they have been working to clear it. I used to be tired all the time but now I have become able to do things. I have noticed a cooling sensation on...  Read Full »

Dr. Arpit Varshney

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have read your query and understand your concern. First of all, the proper protocol for the treatment of Hepatitis C is to get HCV (hepatitis C virus) antibodies test, HCV RNA (hepatitis C virus ribonucleic acid) levels test, liver function tests and ultrasonography ...  Read Full »

My serum GGT levels are elevated despite giving up alcohol. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Serum GGT levels are elevated despite giving up alcohol. Even before, the frequency of drinking was maximum once in a week (90 ml). What does this imply? Please help.   Read Full »

Dr. Ambalathu Veettil Hussain Shihaz

Answer: Hello, Welcome to There are a few questions regarding your health and lifestyle that would help in finding the answers to your query. 1. Have you had any jaundice recently or ever? 2. How long have you been taking alcohol? 3. Is there anyone in the family (siblings, parents) who ha...  Read Full »

I want to know about hepatitis C infection. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been hearing some news about Hepatitis C infection floating around in the community. I know it has something to do with the liver, but I am not entirely sure what to look out for or if there is anything I can do to protect myself. I am a man of 47 with cholesterol on the high s...  Read Full »

Dr. Muntaqa Butt

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I went through your query. There is no vaccine for hepatitis C. Hepatitis C is a viral infection that affects the liver. It can cause both acute (short-term) and chronic (long-term) illness. It can be life-threatening. Hepatitis C is spread through contact with infe...  Read Full »

Kindly provide tips for liver health after hepatitis C infection.

Query: Hello doctor,Being a 36-year-old male who was diagnosed with hepatitis C a month ago and is now in the recovery phase, I am eager to learn about post-hepatitis C care, particularly on liver health. How does hepatitis C affect the liver, and what precautions should I take to ensure good liver functio...  Read Full »

Dr. Ghulam Fareed

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concern. Hepatitis C is a liver viral infection that slowly damages the liver. At your age, the liver is usually well-preserved. It takes around 20-25 years (if untreated) to cause permanent liver damage. I am sure before starti...  Read Full »

Will I get hepatitis C through casual interactions?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23-year-old boy. Recently, my roommate was diagnosed with hepatitis C. I understand that hepatitis C primarily spreads through blood. I am still uncertain about the risk factors involved. We were used to sharing food, beverages, or cigarettes. Given our shared living space and r...  Read Full »

Dr. Ghulam Fareed

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and can understand your concern. So, 1. The interactions you mentioned are not risk factors for hepatitis C spread. 2. In your case, sharing shaving kits, nail cutters, and blades are risk factor. Other common risk factors are tattoos, unhygienic den...  Read Full »

How does Hepatitis C affect liver health if untreated?

Query: Hello doctor, As a concerned wife, I am troubled by my husband's frequent drug injections, particularly during weekend gatherings with his friends where he often appears intoxicated. We argue about this constantly, and I fear he may be sharing needles with his questionable acquaintances. What are t...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand your concern. I can provide you with general information about Hepatitis C, its potential effects on liver health, and resources for support and treatment. Please encourage your husband to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized advic...  Read Full »

I had undergone an ileostomy due to ulcerated colitis. If I get hepatitis C, will it affect my liver or organs?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 73 years old and had an ileostomy a year ago from ulcerated colitis I had. I take no medications for anything. My question is, if I get hepatitis C, will it affect my liver or organs before I normally die?  Read Full »

Dr. Ghulam Fareed

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I am reviewing your case history and will get back to you in a while. Kindly wait for my detailed response. Regards.  Read Full »

Can I stop my hepatitis C treatment after 8 weeks?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 40 years old. I was diagnosed with hepatitis C 16 years before while donating blood. No allopathy treatment was taken till last month. My liver function tests are monitored regularly. Most of the time, the result will be elevated SGOT and SGPT of 200 and 300, respectively. But, it d...  Read Full »

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to We are here to help you. I would highly recommend continuing the medicine for 12 weeks at least. You are fortunate that your viral load is undetectable just with these medicines. Most people with hepatitis C require six to 12 months with Interferon treatment. So, le...  Read Full »

I touched dried blood on a surface. Will I get Hepatitis C?

Query: Hello doctor,Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state? For example, it dried on a surface and you touch it with another dry object or with dry hands. I understand if you wet the dry blood to clean it up it can transfer but I am talking in a strictly dry state. I was told it is...  Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Answer: Hello, Welcome to No, once it has dried, virus is not transmitted and cannot spread the disease when it comes in contact with intact skin. Also, with drying, virus gets inactivated. Even in wet state, just contact of blood with intact skin (not mucosa), unlikely to transmit the virus ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.