Hepatitis C

What does coarse echotexture of the liver mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an ultrasound of my abdomen yesterday and got the results today. My ALP is 155 and AST and ALT is within the normal range. I am not taking any medication at the moment, but I would like help with understanding what this means 'liver parenchyma has increased and coarse acoustic ...  Read Full »

Dr. Chandra Prakash Tanwar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As your abdomen ultrasound report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows an increased and coarse echotexture with no IHBD (intrahepatic bile duct) dilatation, the main cause is a fatty liver disease which shows an increased echogenicity in the liver. T...  Read Full »

My serum GGT levels are elevated despite giving up alcohol. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Serum GGT levels are elevated despite giving up alcohol. Even before, the frequency of drinking was maximum once in a week (90 ml). What does this imply? Please help.   Read Full »

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are a few questions regarding your health and lifestyle that would help in finding the answers to your query. 1. Have you had any jaundice recently or ever? 2. How long have you been taking alcohol? 3. Is there anyone in the family (siblings, parents) who ha...  Read Full »

I have hepatitis C and had mutual masturbation. Do I need to get PEP?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 31-year-old male with a history of hepatitis C on Harvoni. I was with a lady doing mutual masturbation. I then placed my fingers on her tits and played with them. I then sucked her tits. I have traumatic oral lesions. My concerns that if she has HIV and then I got it to my finger...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You had negligible to low-risk exposure in this scenario. Mutual masturbation and playing with tits involves no risk. I guess there was no discharge from tits. If there was no discharge, again this was a negligible risk. You had traumatic oral lesions, which was a so...  Read Full »

I got myself tested as I had a blood transfusion before six years. Please explain my report.

Query: Hi doctor, I had myself tested because I have had a blood transfusion before six years and visit many hospitals for my job. I have no symptoms. I just went to the laboratory and did not understand my results. Can you interpret them for me? Also, can you explain the cut-off value? Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your test reports are normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is no need to worry. HCV (hepatitis C) virus infection is common in those who were transfused with blood or blood products before 25 years. Before 25 years, the transfused blood ...  Read Full »

Is it fine to stop with 8 weeks course of treatment for hepatitis C?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 40 years old. I was diagnosed with hepatitis C before 16 years while donating blood. No allopathy treatment was taken till last month. My liver function tests are monitored regularly. Most of the time, the result will be elevated levels of SGOT and SGPT of 200 and 300 respectively. B...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com, We are here to help you. I would highly recommend you to continue the medicine for 12 weeks at least. You are very lucky that your viral load is undetectable just with these medicines, else most of the people with hepatitis C requires 6 to 12 months, if Interfer...  Read Full »

What does it mean if I tested positive for hepatitis C?

Query: Hello doctor,I am hepatitis C positive with IgM + IgG of 14.2. This test was conducted five years ago. What is the significance of this? I have full medical test including LFT from two months back including sonography where things were normal. Do I need to worry about this? Does it require a treatme...  Read Full »

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgeon, Medical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to get the hepatitis C quantitative assay (RNA level) done and need to get treatment depending upon that. There is no need to worry. Your other labs are fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity). But please be under the strict follow-up of a nea...  Read Full »

What does negative PCR and positive antigen tests for hepatitis C mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to know your opinion. I have had two positive hepatitis C antigen tests and the doctor had a polymerase chain reaction test that was negative for hepatitis C. He said I was one of the lucky ones. He said he could repeat and I did and again negative. All blood was concerning liv...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You had a history of laparotomy operation as a consequence of ruptured ectopic pregnancy. But none of the surgical management has been related to your low TSH level. TSH level can be altered in infective condition or sometimes temporary due to non-thyroid illness. I sug...  Read Full »

Medicine and diet plan for high bilirubin levels

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 34-year-old male. I am suffering from jaundice. Last week my eyes have turned slightly yellowish and after that, I had my blood test and hepatitis test. Tests show positive, bilirubin levels are 10 mg/dl. Can you suggest me medicine and diet plan?  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. You have possibly hepatitis which needs to be checked for the type of hepatitis. So viral serology needs to be done. Regarding diet, you have to take vegetables, fresh fruits, and avoid oily and fatty stuff. Most of the hepatitis is self-rem...  Read Full »

Can I get HIV via oral sex if I do not have any cuts or wounds on my penis?

Query: Hello doctor, Can HIV be transmitted through oral sex?  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Any exchange of body fluids does pose a risk for the transmission of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). However, the risk with oral sex is lesser than with vaginal sex. Kindly mention in detail about the kind of exposure like, whether it was protected, if it was homo...  Read Full »

Are the HIV tests done by me right?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 32 year old male. My weight is 95 kg and height is 174 cm. I had protected vaginal and oral sex with CSW. Then, I did the following HIV Screening tests and all of that came back negative. ELISA on 26th day - non reactive, ELISA on 40th day - non reactive, HIV 1 and 2 ...  Read Full »

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Dermatologist, Venereologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Cosmetologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query in detail and viewed all the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and do understand your concern. As you indulged in protective sex, your risk of acquiring any STD (sexually transmitted disease) or HIV (human immunodeficiency ...  Read Full »