Q. Please interpret my USG liver report.

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2020

Four months before, I was diagnosed with fatty liver, slightly elevated fasting sugar and the level of total cholesterol. My current medications are tablet Viboliv 500 daily two times in a restricted diet and Nexpro RD. I had consumed spicy foods rarely. In the last four months, I lost 7 kg weight. However, today, I have repeated the same tests and all the blood tests are normal. But, there is something in my USG of the whole abdomen. My USG report of liver is as follows: Liver is enlarged. The echogenicity is diffusely increased without any focal lesion. The intrahepatic structures are normal and no focal area of altered echogenicity is noted. The hepatic ports are normal. The common duct at ports measures 3 mm and the portal vein measures 10 mm to porta. Final impression is hepatomegaly with fatty liver and this is my recent USG report. My other organs are normal and I feel pain in the RUQ and flatulence is present. Also, I tested for FBS, LFT and lipid profile. Is it a reversible condition? Also, please let me know how much time will it take. Will you please guide me about the seriousness of this condition? Thank you.

#

• The fatty liver disease is also known as NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis), which may progress to NAFLD that is nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
  • The real issue here is to know if you are developing fibrosis or cirrhosis from it. And that is whether you are compensated versus uncompensated.
  • Please upload all the results and I would also like to know whether you have been tested for hep C and B. Have you had any history of alcoholism?

Revert back with report and answer to the above question to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Yes, before four months, I was tested for hep B and C and both were negative. I am occasionally alcoholic. Please find all the current reports that I have attached.

#

Your laboratory report looks fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• I suggest you to get a fibrous scan or fibrosure that will tell us the degree of the fibrosis if any. Since the term increased ecogenicity has been vague and could mean early fibrosis stage 1.
  • I suggest you to get the prothrombin time (PT) and alpha-fetoprotein for screening of hepatic cancer.
  • Also, I would like to rule out hemochromatosis (iron deposition disease), since your lipid profile is too good to believe that you have fatty liver.
  • As this is an iron deposition disease, I suggest you to get the serum ferritin, serum iron and total iron binding capacity (TIBC). Please share the results.

Revert back with the test report to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|