Q. I have rashes below waistline including penis. Do I need urgent care?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy
Published on Jul 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2019

I have rashes basically everywhere below the waistline. It started two days ago and have somewhat spread from the initial location (bug bite on the upper right thigh). There is some bruising around the initial location. I have been using Lotrimin and Cortizone cream but there is no effect on using them. Hot showers seem to help reduce redness and slight swelling. It does itch and I got pus on when I scratched it harder (trying to stop the habit). I have attached a few images. Please go through them.

I have not changed any soaps, detergents, or shampoo recently. I have not changed my diet. I had been walking through some woods (could it be some type of poison ivy or something). I have my house, bed, clothes, and carpet always cleaned and there are no signs of bugs. My dog has not had the habit of scratching anything. I am good and healthy with no medications taken or pre-existing conditions. What does this look like? Do you think this requires an ER (emergency)/urgent care visit and see a dermatologist early in the week? I am pretty concerned since it is on my penis.

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

I have seen your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The condition looks like poison ivy. There are few blisters evolving, it may go on for one to two weeks without treatment. Poison ivy usually requires oral Prednisone to keep it under control.

Another possibility is, herpes zoster - the reactivation of varicella virus presenting with blisters in a group with areas of redness. I am unable to make out with these pictures if the rash is on both your thighs or if it is only on one thigh. If it is only one thigh, with burning sensation and pain, it favors herpes zoster which needs to be treated early with oral antivirals (Valacyclovir).

In both cases, I would suggest you visit your doctor as soon as possible. To keep itching under control, topical Calamine lotion with aloe and oral antihistamines like Zyrtec (Cetirizine) will be helpful.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Can herpes cause feet neuropathy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have developed feet neuropathy, primarily the right foot from the past one year. The symptoms went away six months back but returned a month back (burning, tingling, etc). I suffer from high blood pressure and anxiety. The neurologists could not find the cause after all tests. I tes...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is less likely that your symptoms are related to herpes. Herpes infection does not usually lead to such a clinical situation. Besides, a positive test does not always indicate an active infection. The fact that your tests resulted in positive means that you have g...  Read Full

Does numbness, burning and tingling sensation on face mean trigeminal neuralgia?

Query: Hello doctor, Three and a half months ago I started with numbness, burning and tingling on the left side of my face. I had been very sick with a chest cold. One week later I had blisters on my upper left palate, I went to the doctor and she said definitely shingles. Now l never had any pain or sens...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should know that trigeminal neuralgia is a common complication of shingles or herpes infection. As blisters appeared the first time, it means that the herpes infection was present (probably HSV1 (herpes simplex virus, which is typical in this region). It is quite...  Read Full