Common "Herpes" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq


Herpes is a viral infection caused by herpes simplex virus (HSV). It causes lesions in the genitals, lips, oral mucosa, and face. The symptoms include blisters, ulcers, cold sores, vaginal discharge, and pain on urinating.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Is the pain in my penile shaft due to an STD?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a sore at the middle of my penile shaft. I believe this was due to excessive masturbation and having sex when it was sore and hurting, to begin with. It seems like it is healing up, but I want to make sure. There has not been pus, discharge or pain from peeing. Just the irritat...  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hello Welcome to Usually, whenever soreness is present over the penis we have to rule out herpes or syphilis. But I have seen attached image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It does not look like any sexually transmitted illness. For a few days, it is advisable to stop ...  Read Full »

Is it possible for the yeast infection to be sexually transmitted from my partner?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 42-years-old male. I have bumps on my penis with yellow pus discharge and painful testicles. I recovered from severe COVID with complications and took a series of antibiotics, steroids, and several other medications to treat COVID. My wife had a yeast infection, and we had inter...  Read Full »

Dr. Raveendran S R

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I can understand your concern. I request you to share picture for better understanding. According to your complaints it can be a bacterial infection. I suggest you to use tablet Augmentin 625 mg (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) twice daily for five days af...  Read Full »

I have been experiencing inflammation in my genital area, and dry skin after masturbation. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have noticed inflammation in my genital area, which I just noticed today. I masturbated the day before and have been experiencing dry skin in that area recently. I am concerned that this might be herpes. I will attach a picture for your reference; one of the pictures was taken at hom...  Read Full »

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Madhav

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have read your query and understand your concern. I have reviewed the pictures you attached (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity), it appears to be genital wart (verrucae) with penile melanosis. I suggest you follow the below mentioned instruction...  Read Full »

Why am I experiencing vaginal rash and bleeding while urinating?

Query: Hello doctor, I am noticing slight blood drops while urinating since last 2 to 3 days and irritation in the vagina. I noticed rashes on the left wall of the vaginal opening and seems to pain slightly while urinating. Please suggest the remedy. I have been consuming cital syrup on suggestions by a p...  Read Full »

Dr. Sameer Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to If there is no burning sensation while urination or there is an increased frequency of urine accompanied with red urine then unlikely that you have a urinary tract infection, instead you are likely to be suffering from vaginitis. Please get a high vaginal swab and a ...  Read Full »

I provided mobility training to an HIV-positive patient without protection, with recent scratches. Is transmission possible?

Query: Hello doctor,I provided mobility training and exercises to a patient without wearing gloves and a mask. I had scratches on my skin due to playing with my pets earlier. Later, I became aware that she is HIV positive, and the patient had an infection on the side of her lips. My concern is whether ther...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Answer: Hello,Welcome to (human immunodeficiency virus) transmission necessitates the exchange of bodily fluids. Older scratches typically undergo epithelialization and do not serve as entry points for the virus. HIV does not propagate through touch or the sharing of items. The potential inf...  Read Full »

I am 20 years old with tiny white bumps on the glans of the penis with no pain, itch, or discharge. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 20 years old and I got very very tiny thread-like two white bumps beneath the corona of the glans of my penis recently I got one more, and now I have three of these bumps, I am very scared that I may have herpes, but they do not pain, itch, or oozes out, nothing comes out of them, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Raveendran S R

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concern. Share a picture of the affected area. If there was unprotected sex - one needs to think of sexually transmitted infection 1.TPHA; Treponema pallidum hemagglutination. 2. HPV DNA PCR test. 3. Herpes simplex virus (Hsv) ...  Read Full »

Is cortisone drops the cause of my repeated corneal herpes?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a female aged 38 years, I had my first outbreak of corneal herpes five months back. It was treated incorrectly by a GP first with Cortisone and antibiotics. The eye doctor put me on Acyclovir cream and later added Cortisone drops to prevent scars. After a month, while on vacation (lo...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Please do not panic. You will not go blind. I assume this is herpes simplex and you have herpes epithelial keratitis. Epithelium keratitis is usually treated with antiviral and lubricating eyedrop. The steroid has no role in epithelial keratitis. Steroid increases the ...  Read Full »

I am scared because of positive STD tests. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, The last time I informed you of the details and information regarding protected sex with a condom before five months ago. And after 16 weeks and six days, I had done STD testing. I have attached my reports. Please check and help me with this. I am getting worried, tensed, and scared a bit...  Read Full »

Dr. Thakare Sampada Avinash

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I thoroughly read your query and understand your concern. Positive IgG (immunoglobulin G) indicates past infection of herpes which in your case is positive. And once it is positive, it is always going to remain positive. There is no need to worry about that. Also, there...  Read Full »

I have an itchy pubic area. Is it herpes or folliculitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to ask about two lesions for which I will upload photos. In the first to the third photo, the pubic area was initially itchy, so I checked it after scratching, and there was blood. After wiping the blood, I took a picture. There are no other symptoms. The next photos are from th...  Read Full »

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. The lesions are bacterial folliculitis. These are not related to herpes in any way. Folliculitis is caused by bacterial infection in most of the cases and staphylococcus aureus is the common bacteria responsible for it. The lesions with pus...  Read Full »

What are the odds of having HIV after using a sex worker?

Query: Hello doctor, I had protected sex with a massage parlor woman but had a herpes outbreak above my penis; it was pretty high. I am worried about HIV (Human immunodeficiency Virus). Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Davie Wong

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand your concern. The chance of contracting HIV in this situation is highly variable, depending on many factors. Having genital herpes at the time of sexual intercourse does increase the risk. Other factors include proper or improper use of a condom, wh...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.