Q. Is it normal for a newborn to have constant hiccups soon after burping?

Dr. Vishal Parmar
Published on Mar 25, 2019

I would like to ask that what causes constant hiccups soon after burping my son is just 3 weeks old and he constantly has hiccups soon after meals and he swallows too much air during feeding. What should I do to help stop them? Secondly, he throws his head and trunk back a lot and his chest is always pushed is it normal?

Dr. Vishal Parmar

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Congratulations for the baby. Well, I got your concern. It may be due to GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disease). Do as I say. Do proper burping after each feeds, minimum 10 minutes. Make him sleep in somewhat high head position 10 to 20 degrees maximum. Watch for his weight gain. If he is not gaining weight then consult a pediatrician. Many time these things can be controlled with simple measure only. In some cases, we need to give Lanzoprazole but for now, let us wait and watch.

Should we treat high creatinine and low GFR as medical emergency?

Query: Hello doctor, My father has a creatinine level of 286 umol/l and a GFR of 19. Should this be treated as a medical emergency? His symptoms are tiredness, loss of appetite, shaky inside (similar to the feeling of anxiety). He has a history of cancer and radiotherapy. GFR has continued to decline from...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, this should be treated as a medical emergency and he should be given admission as per my belief. How are his urine output and blood pressure? Any hiccups or vomitings? For more information consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-...  Read Full

Please review my dad's report and let me know if hiccups and burping are to be worried.

Query: Hi doctor, My dad recently was admitted to hospital after a heart attack, and he was in the¬†hospital for almost a week. Currently, he was discharged and taking rest at home. The doctor advised that his heart pumping rate is around 23% and require improvement. Since morning he has been having hiccup...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw your dad's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). He has severe heart failure due to supposedly decreased blood supply to the heart (ischemic left ventricular dysfunction). The cause of hiccups and burping could be due to gastritis induced b...  Read Full

Taking Pantoprazole for GERD. Is any drug interactions between Pantoprazole and Voltaren?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on 40 mg Pantoprazole twice a day for GERD. I just took 50 mg Voltaren for a bad back and I am worried sick. I checked online and it said no drug interactions. I have not yet taken my nightly dose of Pantoprazole, should I not take it?  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. There are no drug interactions between Pantoprozole and Diclofenac (Voltaren). In fact, anyone who takes painkillers like Diclofenac has to take Pantoprazole to prevent Diclofenac-induced gastritis. So, relax and take the regular dose of Pa...  Read Full