Q. Can GERD cause rumbling stomach and feeling of something stuck in throat?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 04, 2020

I am 33 years old. From the last few days, I am suffering from GERD. I feel something is stuck in my throat and even if I take water this feeling never goes. Also, I feel a loud sound in my stomach before and after lunch and formations of gas. I took Reblet D, Eristozyme tables and Sucral O antacids, but did not work. Please suggest me remedy so that I can get received from GERD and the feeling in esophagus.

#

Not sure whether the diagnosis of GERD (gastric esophageal reflux disease) is made by you or your physician. By looking at the symptoms it looks like there is increased gastric acid secretion which is giving you the sensation of bloating. Diagnosis of GERD is made if you feel that the gastric acid is regurgitating back and you feel soreness in your mouth especially when lying down. This is because of the relaxation of lower esophageal sphincter pressure. As a result, acid is regurgitating into the esophagus. I suggest you to modify your lifestyle as mentioned below.

1. Avoid spicy and acidic foods.

2. Avoid going to bed immediately after food. A gap of at least one to one and a half hours is recommended.

3. Elevate the head end of the bed to about 30 degrees while sleeping.

4. Avoid smoking and alcohol if you do so.

5. Take small feeds or meals and avoid fatty foods and large meals.

6. Avoid coffee, tea, cold beverages like cola, etc., for a few days.

Continue tablet Lansoprazole or Pantoprazole 40 mg twice daily for a month. No need to take Domperidone along with these. You can take antacids as and when required but not more than 20 ml per day.

If symptoms do not resolve after 30 days give a try for H.Pylori kit (Lansoprazole, Amoxicillin and Clarithromycin) for 14 days. It is readily available with chemists. If the problem still persists, you need to undergo endoscopy to find out the reasons for persistent symptoms and may require surgical intervention.

|