Q. Is GERD(Gastroesophageal reflux disease) curable permanently through medicines?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana
Published on Jun 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Dear Doctor,

Is GERD curable through medicines permanently? If yes, kindly prescribe the medicines. I have consulted many doctors and taken tablets, but after a few days it is troubling again. Please prescribe some permanent solution to this.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com. GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) can be treated effectively with medications like omeprazole, pantoprazole, and with combination of prokinetic drugs like domperidone.

In addition to drugs, the modification of life style is important such as:

• Eating small quantity of food at frequent intervals.
  • Sitting upright after eating.
  • Avoiding spicy, fried and sour foods.
  • Quit smoking and alcohol habit if it is present.
  • Avoid caffeinated drinks such as tea and coffee.

And also go for investigations such as upper GI endoscopy with the doctor's advise and if any underlying surgical conditions, they should be corrected accordingly.

So, I advise you to consult a gastroenterologist for examination and investigations. Hope I have answered your query.

Revert back to a surgical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-gastroenterologist

Taking Pantoprazole for GERD. Is any drug interactions between Pantoprazole and Voltaren?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on 40 mg Pantoprazole twice a day for GERD. I just took 50 mg Voltaren for a bad back and I am worried sick. I checked online and it said no drug interactions. I have not yet taken my nightly dose of Pantoprazole, should I not take it?  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. There are no drug interactions between Pantoprozole and Diclofenac (Voltaren). In fact, anyone who takes painkillers like Diclofenac has to take Pantoprazole to prevent Diclofenac-induced gastritis. So, relax and take the regular dose of Pa...  Read Full

Can Omeprazole be used for gastritis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have suffered from gastritis-like symptoms for about a week now. I have an occasional mild tummy ache and nausea which is relieved by belching. I have suffered from acute gastritis now for several years, although I cannot be 100 % certain why. I tested positive for the h. pylori bacteri...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.You seem to be suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) associated with gastritis. Yes, you can take Omeprazole 20 mg. Once a day would be enough. There are no major side effects. There is no indication for taking triple therapy for h.pylori again. I advise the fol...  Read Full

Does Omeprazole 20 mg have side effects?

Query: Hello¬†doctor,I have been suffering from symptoms of gastritis now for over a week. However, I took a capsule of Omeprazole 20 mg, and there seems to be a considerable relief, and I feel a lot better. Is it possible that one capsule can do this? Also, I have read online that Omeprazole can be associ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor. It will decrease the acid production in the stomach and relieve the symptoms rapidly. The worries like pneumonia or so are very very less. It is usually a safe drug. For more information consult a general medicine phys...  Read Full

Ask a Surgical Gastroenterologist Now