Q. Is GERD(Gastroesophageal reflux disease) curable permanently through medicines?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Dear Doctor,

Is GERD curable through medicines permanently? If yes, kindly prescribe the medicines. I have consulted many doctors and taken tablets, but after a few days it is troubling again. Please prescribe some permanent solution to this.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com. GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) can be treated effectively with medications like omeprazole, pantoprazole, and with combination of prokinetic drugs like domperidone.

In addition to drugs, the modification of life style is important such as:

• Eating small quantity of food at frequent intervals.
  • Sitting upright after eating.
  • Avoiding spicy, fried and sour foods.
  • Quit smoking and alcohol habit if it is present.
  • Avoid caffeinated drinks such as tea and coffee.

And also go for investigations such as upper GI endoscopy with the doctor's advise and if any underlying surgical conditions, they should be corrected accordingly.

So, I advise you to consult a gastroenterologist for examination and investigations. Hope I have answered your query.

Revert back to a surgical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-gastroenterologist

|