High Cortisol

Should I use Progesterone cream for elevated estradiol values?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 50-year-old female in good health. I am not on any medication, and I eat well. 5'4" 140 pounds. I have an irregular period, fatigue, cyclical migraine headaches, anxiety, panic attacks, and dry eyes. My basal temperature does not indicate ovulation, and the blood report came bac...  Read Full »

Dr. Richa Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Three things are important in your case- 1) High cortisol. 2) High estradiol. 3) Low vitamin D. The most common cause of high-level cortisol is Cushing syndrome (pituitary adenoma) and stress. Treatment- MRI to rule out pituitary adenoma. Release your stress...  Read Full »

What is the connection between high cortisol and significant weight gain?

Query: Hello doctor, My ACTH level is 43 and my cortisol level is 23.9. I am 25 years old and my weight is 237 lbs with a height of 5'4". What could be the problem? I am currently under Nuva ring 0.3 mg and vitamin D 50,000 units once a week.  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Ramakrishnan

General Practitioner, Family Physician, Preventive Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your lab reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I need to know what was the reason and why these tests were done in the first place? What were your symptoms and complaints? And also why Nuva ring was started? Kindly get back w...  Read Full »

I frequently awaken at night. Is it due to anxiety and depression?

Query: Hello doctor, A little over two years ago, I experienced some stress in my life that resulted in a high level of anxiety and depression. I was prescribed Paxil and took it for one year. At the time, I was also taking Diovan and Atenolol for hypertension, Pantoprazole for reflux, and Simvastatin fo...  Read Full »

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you currently have hypertension? When you wake up early morning, do you have hot flashes or night sweats? Do you have headaches with these episodes? Have you checked your thyroid level recently? Any palpitations felt? If yes, have you had an EKG to rule out any cardiac...  Read Full »

I have gained weight and I have high cortisol level. Do I have Cushing's syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering with hypothyroidism and polycystic ovaries. Over last three years, I have gained 15 kg of weight. I am taking T4 150 mg, Glucophage 850 mg and Yasmin. I think I have Cushing's syndrome. My cortisol level in blood is 34 in the morning but in 24 hour urine test it is in norma...  Read Full »

Dr. Hariharan V

Diabetologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There may be three possibilities. Either your polycystic ovarian syndrome and hypothyroidism are two separate disorders or it may be a pituitary or autoimmune disease which affects many organs. When did you last check your thyroid levels? If it is too low, then you...  Read Full »

How to reduce levels of cortisol?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old female. Is there any way to effectively reduce elevated cortisol and aldosterone? But, it is not Cushing's. I just have too high cortisol for the last few years and weight loss problem.  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are medicines for that, but it would be a temporary solution. We need to find the cause of elevated cortisol and aldosterone. In that regard, kindly upload the tests reports. Also, let me know, are you on any birth control pills?  Read Full »

My fiance has gained 40 kg in less than a year. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I am concerned about excessive weight gain by my fiance. He is a 29 year old male, whose height is approximately 6 feet, and he weighs 150 kg. Over the last two years, my fiance had lost around 40 kg using the Banting diet, common in our country. It is based on the principles of no ca...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Suresh Kulkarni

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your description, it is advisable to perform the following tests to rule out any pathological cause of the weight gain.  Thyroid function tests. Liver function test. Kidney function tests. Random and basal cortisol levels to check for an evidence of Cushings'...  Read Full »

In what conditions can a person have cyclical Cushing's syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 21 years now. I weigh 60 kg and was diagnosed with cyclical Cushing's syndrome at the age of 20. I had an MRI scan for a pituitary tumor in my brain. But, the clinical findings did not match up. I went to a top end endocrinologist who is a professor in endocrinology. I have beard ...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, there is no other pituitary in the brain and sometimes urinary test fails to detect hormones. In cyclical Cushing's, the cortisol levels fluctuate over time, making the diagnosis even more difficult. The source of ectopic hormone production should be searched for, o...  Read Full »

My daughter has pernicious anemia from the age of 11. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I hope you will be able to help me with my daughter's health. The summary of her health is as follows: She was born prematurely at 25 weeks. She had to undergo PDA surgery soon after. She had Hashimoto's hypothyroidism when she was 8 years of age. She had urticaria and angioedema for m...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and the medical history of your daughter. I have seen the detailed reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) as well. Let me answer each one of your questions. Her raised cortisol is likely to be due to exogenous steroids use, like...  Read Full »

May I know if synacthen test is accurate to check pituitary gland function?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with Cushing's disease, which caused a high level of cortisol before two years. The tumor size was 2 mm. I had surgery and the pituitary gland tumor was removed. Then, I am having a low level of cortisol and T4. After the operation, I am taking Hydrocortisone (10 mg or 5 ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your question. I have noted all your laboratory test results (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The only doubt I want to clear is about the medicine. Did you mention cortisol PM part as after medicine? Which was the medicine you took? Was it H...  Read Full »