Q. Will the cortisol medicine affect the Dexamethasone suppression test?

Dr. Arpit Varshney

I am suffering from hypercortisolism and my morning cortisol level is high. I am taking oral medicine for cortisol levels and the tablet Mirtazapine. The doctor says that the Dexamethasone suppression test is worthwhile, but I am worried the results would not be accurate due to the medication. Can you advise if Dexamethasone suppression is still worth doing?

#

I have read your concern in detail and will surely help you out. Yes, the medicines that alter cortisol levels can cause abnormal results of the Dexamethasone suppression test. The best way to make the test stand true to its value is to stop these medications for three days and then go ahead with the test. I agree with your doctor that a Dexamethasone suppression test is necessary. It will help us discover the root cause of hypercortisolism, and then we can plan subsequent treatment for you. So you can stop the medicines three days before the test and go ahead with the test.

Hope this helps.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

|