Q. Is high hemoglobin level indicative of some disease?

Published on Oct 18, 2018

I am so worried. I had a blood test and my hemoglobin is 16 g/dl (9.9 mmol/l) and hematocrit is 46 PTC. I am female, 39, and healthy. My white blood cells, platelets, and thrombocytes are in normal middle range. Is a bit high hemoglobin sign of some sickness? What to do next?

Hematology Pathology
#

So, actually, your hemoglobin level is borderline high and not low. So, you are not having anemia. You are probably thinking about polycythemia. But as your hemoglobin is not much elevated and your total WBC count with platelet count are within range, no need to worry. In the female, normal hemoglobin range is between 13 to 16. I suggest you investigate with serum erythropoietin just to be sure if it is within range. Excess non-vegetarian diet also can lead to high hemoglobin level. Sometimes, if the investigation is done in the dehydration stage, then also such finding can occur. You can revert back with serum EPO (erythropoietin) report to guide you further.

Does A Hematocrit Of 49.2 Indicate Polycythemia?

Query: Hello doctor,My Hb is 15.8 but HCT is 49.2 and total RBC count is 5.63. What is the reason? I fear about polycythemia. Is it possible to reduce HCT?  Read Full >>

Dr. Abdul Aziz Khan
Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are a smoker, then stop smoking. At this stage, secondary polycythemia is more common than primary and smoking is the most common reason for secondary. For further queries consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hemat...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now