Q. Can you please interpret the results of my blood tests after an exposure to HIV?

Dr. Utkarsh Sharma

I was exposed to HIV before eight months. Would you please help me interpret the results of my recent blood check-up?

#

I can understand your concern and will help you with it. I have carefully assessed the attached reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). After going through the reports, I would like to mention the following:

1) Your blood has low HIV-1 (Human immunodeficiency virus-1) viral load.

2) Your absolute lymphocyte count, helper, and suppressor T lymphocyte counts are adequate.

3) Your CD4 (cluster of differentiation 4) or CD 8 lymphocyte ratio is slightly low. CD4 lymphocyte counts reduce in HIV but at a later stage, so this is probably insignificant presently.

You must know that these results are better assessed in comparison to previous reports and are helpful in future comparisons. They are used to monitor the progression of infection and the effect of therapy.

I hope this helped.

Take care.

|