Q. Can hives caused due to Amoxicilline be treated with Antihistamines or Steroids?

Dr. G. S. S. Sandeep

I was prescribed Amoxicillin four weeks ago for a possible infection (not sure if it is even related, but I was prescribed this for a post-miscarriage infection). On the day of my final dose, I broke out into hives. I have prescribed an antihistamine (Blexton) after they persisted for a week, which helped, but I was still itchy and had red marks. Now I have been prescribed a Steroid (Predisone), and about 30 minutes after I took it, I had a big red blotch on my leg. I have performed full blood test before two months. Please help.

#

Prednisolone takes 1 to 2 hours to show its impact; it is not the reason for allergy. You can continue medication as prescribed by doctors. Continue steroids and taper them off as per doctor guidance. To rule out an active infection, I suggest taking blood pictures with ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and c- reactive protein investigations. Also, get an ultrasound abdomen done to check for any fetal remnants. Temporarily avoid animal protein and all sorts of purser-colored food. There are numerous reasons for hives; we need to identify the possible allergen and avoid it. This will give permanent relief. Medication will temporarily block the allergy.

Thank you for the reply.

Do you think it could be related to the antibiotics; however, it was a few weeks back? Ok, I will do all these things. I had an ultrasound done yesterday for follow-up of miscarriage. Thank you.

#

We can correlate acute urticaria to antibiotics, painkillers, infections, colored food, etc. Repeated exposure to the same allergens will trigger allergy once the eosinophils in the body cross allergy thresholds levels. It is treatable; try to identify possible allergens.

|