Q. Shall I take Amoxicillin for cough?

Dr. Md. Kais Haider Chowdhury
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 01, 2019

Four weeks ago, I had a cold and chest infection. I self-treated with Amoxicillin and it was resolved. Now, I am getting cough with slight wheeze. Also, it is a productive cough with green sputum. Shall I try Amoxicillin again? I am regularly on Citalopram and Micronor.

#

• As you have recurrent infection, I would suggest to do investigations first.
  • Currently, I suggest tablet Amoxicillin plus Clavulanic acid (Co-amoxiclav) 625 mg three times a day for seven days.

1. Sputum for AFB (acid-fast bacillus), gram staining, culture and sensitivity and GeneXpert.
2. Complete blood count.
3. Urine routine examination and culture and sensitivity.
4. Serum creatinine and electrolytes.
5. Chest x-ray posteroanterior view.

Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
1 Tablet Co-amoxiclav 625 mg three times daily for seven days after meal.
2. Capsule Omeprazole 20 mg two times daily for 15 days, half an hour before meal.
3. Tablet Paracetamol 500 mg three times daily for 10 days. If the temperature is more than 102 degree Fahrenheit, then take two tablets immediately.
4. Syrup Bromhexine three teaspoons thrice daily for 15 days for cough.

Drink hot water, mix salt with hot water and gargle twice daily.

Revert back with the reports to a family physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|