Hygiene During Swimming

Does chlorine kill fungus?

Query: Hello doctor, I wonder if chlorine levels in a normal swimming pool kill all the microbes. If someone with a fungal infection swims in a pool, won't it spread to others through the water?  Read Full »

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetologist, Family Physician, Microbiologist, Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Swimming is considered as a safe recreational activity. But that is not totally true. Chlorination of water is known to kill most of the microorganisms (which include bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites). But there are several factors ...  Read Full »

I am a swimmer and my rashes just got better with a steroid cream. Can I hit the pool?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been using Betamethasone valerate (0.12 %) for three weeks (with occlusion) on my left and right knee to treat an allergic contact dermatitis.Now that the rash is gone, I was advised to stop applying the topical cortisone. My question is, since I am a professional swimmer, is i...  Read Full »

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case. If your previous skin lesions are healed now, then you definitely need to stop steroid. Regarding an infection, particularly tinea, it develops with steroid and moist skin. Just wait for two to three days and then you can go to the pool....  Read Full »

I swallowed a lot of water at the swimming pool and now feel sick. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday, I was swimming in a pool that had salt water in it. I went underwater and accidentally swallowed the salt water. It burned my nose and my throat. I woke up today dizzy and my throat kills and my nose still does. I keep coughing up mucus. I also keep sneezing. What should I d...  Read Full »

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hello,Welcome in icliniq.com.I understand your concern. You are likely to have an acute upper respiratory tract infection, and associated labyrinthitis as you have vertigo. Now, you are advised to take: Tablet Paracetamol. Tablet Betahistine 16 mg thrice daily. Steam inhalation. Antihist...  Read Full »