Q. I am a swimmer and my rashes just got better with a steroid cream. Can I hit the pool?

Dr. Shanza Ikram
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 28, 2022

I have been using Betamethasone valerate (0.12 %) for three weeks (with occlusion) on my left and right knee to treat allergic contact dermatitis. Now that the rash is gone, I was advised to stop applying the topical cortisone. My question is since I am a professional swimmer, is it safe for me to hit the pool? Or should I wait for some time because of the increased risk of infection (I am especially worried about ringworm)?

#

I have gone through your case.

If your previous skin lesions are healed now, then you definitely need to stop steroids. Regarding an infection, particularly tinea, develops with steroids and moist skin. Just wait for two to three days, and then you can go to the pool. But please remember to keep yourself dry after swimming. Occluded sites, like finger webs, groin, and axilla, are more likely to develop tinea when moist or with steroids.

Take care.

|