Q. I am a swimmer and my rashes just got better with a steroid cream. Can I hit the pool?

Dr. Shanza Ikram
Published on Nov 19, 2017

I have been using Betamethasone valerate (0.12 %) for three weeks (with occlusion) on my left and right knee to treat an allergic contact dermatitis.Now that the rash is gone, I was advised to stop applying the topical cortisone. My question is, since I am a professional swimmer, is it safe for me to hit the pool? Or, should I wait for some time because of the increased risk of infection (I am especially worried about ringworm)?

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Dermatology
#

I have gone through your case.

• If your previous skin lesions are healed now, then you definitely need to stop steroid.
  • Regarding an infection, particularly tinea, it develops with steroid and moist skin.
  • Just wait for two to three days and then you can go to the pool. But please remember to keep yourself dry after swimming.
  • Occluded sites like finger webs, groin, axilla, are more likely to develop tinea when moist or with steroids.

Take care.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

What ayurvedic medicines can treat tinea cruris?

Query: Hello doctor, Kindly tell me some ayurvedic drugs for tinea cruris. I had the disease last year but I am having the symptoms again. Itching has not gone completely. I have used Onabet cream. In the past, I have been on Tyza and Atarax. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tinea cruris is commonly caused by a type of fungus called dermatophytes. It causes mostly circular growth on the skin and often looks like rings. It is also referred as ringworms. Generally, it grows in unhygienic and wet areas. Antifungal management is the line...  Read Full

I have multiple itchy lesions all over my body. What can they be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 72 years male, who weighs 66 kg and I am 166 cm tall. I have multiple itchy lesions all over my body which responses temporarily to oral steroids. RAST test showed I am allergic to dogs and cats. My dermatologist diagnosed it as type 3 hypersensitivity (IgG mediated), and I am no...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query. It seems you have developed either allergic contact dermatitis or tinea corporis. Please sent pictures of the lesions, for a better understanding. Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-o...  Read Full

How to Cure Pseudomonas Infection?

Article Overview: This article discusses the symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment of Pseudomonas infection. This infection can affect the respiratory tract, heart, central nervous system, etc. Read Article

Dr. Vidhi Hareshbhai Talati
General Medicine Physician

Introduction of Pseudomonas Infection Gessard first discovered this infection in 1882. Pseudomonas infection is one type of bacterial infection which is caused by Pseudomonas aeruginosa bacterium. Mostly normal people have this infection without knowing. It is mostly found in moist environment such...  Read Article