Q. If someone with a fungal infection swims in a pool, Will they spread to others?

Answered by
Dr. Suneetha B S
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 05, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2019

Hello doctor, I wonder if chlorine levels in a normal swimming pool kill all the microbes. If someone with a fungal infection swims in a pool, won't it spread to others through the water?

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern.

Swimming is considered as a safe recreational activity. But that is not totally true.

Chlorination of water is known to kill most of the microorganisms (which include bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites). But there are several factors to be considered like:

1) Type of microorganism (some organisms may be resistant to chlorination).

2) Adequate chlorination (if sufficient chlorine is not added, there could be a chance of acquiring infection).

3) Duration of chlorination (when a microorganism is introduced into the water, the chlorine may not kill the organism right away, some resistant organisms may survive longer in the water).

4) Microbial load (the stage of infection of the infected person is also important, during the acute acute/highly infective stage, chances of spreading infection may be higher).

  • It is very important for people with skin infections or diarrhoea to stay away from the pools for a period of 14days after recovery.
  • This can only be monitored by the people entering the pool themselves.
  • If you are swimming regularly, try not to swallow water while swimming.
  • Take a shower immediately after swimming.
  • If you develop any symptoms like rashes over the skin or diarrhoea, consult your doctor immediately.
  • Request the pool authorities to put up a notice requesting members to stay away from the pool if they are sick.
  • If you have kids who are swimming, follow the same advice, and change their nappies immediately after swimming.
  • Also take your kids to the toilet every 30 minutes during their swimming session, to prevent them from excreting in the pool.

Consult a general practitioner online for further follow up --->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How to Cure Pseudomonas Infection?

Article Overview: This article discusses the symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment of Pseudomonas infection. This infection can affect the respiratory tract, heart, central nervous system, etc. Read Article

Dr. Vidhi Hareshbhai Talati
General Medicine Physician

Introduction of Pseudomonas Infection Gessard first discovered this infection in 1882. Pseudomonas infection is one type of bacterial infection which is caused by Pseudomonas aeruginosa bacterium. Mostly normal people have this infection without knowing. It is mostly found in moist environment such...  Read Article

Impetigo, an Infectious Disease in Children

Article Overview: Impetigo, one of the most common skin infections among kids usually produces blisters or sores on the face, neck, hands, and diaper area. Read Article

Impetigo is the most common skin infection in children throughout the world. Bacteria mainly enters through break in the skin, which may allow bacteria to invade the skin. After invasion bacteria multiply in deep layers of the skin and leads to blister formation. There are two classic forms of im...  Read Article

Is there any permanent cure for recurring skin infections?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a chronic problem for the past six to seven years. I have the problem itching in all the skin folds and the pressed areas like under the belt including genital areas and anus. I showed the same to a doctor and he diagnosed this as eczema and fungal infection. The doctor presc...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Practitioner Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.