Q. When will the hyperactive airway disease in a child get cured?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

My daughter is 3 years old. When she was 2, we shifted to a new place and from there she started having allergy problem like bronchitis. Every time she catches a cold and it developed into allergic bronchitis. In X-ray report, it says she has hyperreactive airway disease. Now finally, I changed place again. How long will it take to improve as she still sneezes a lot?

#

As per the history and the doctor's notes, I understand your daughter has allergic rhinitis and lower airway hyperreactivity. There is no easy solution for allergy. Allergy is due to some component in the air that she breathes. We must identify what she is allergic to. Some of the following you may need to do.

1. After using the Duonase spray for 15 days as given by your doctor, change it to Mometasone and use it once daily. Two puffs in each nostril for 30 days and thereafter one puff each nostril. There is a particular way to use spray. If you do not know that then revert back.

2. Continue the Montair LC syrup for a couple of weeks and keep using it on an SOS basis whenever she gets allergy. When you start, continue it for a day. A single daily dosage is sufficient usually.

3. Inhalers like Asthalin and Seroflo are to be used as per the chest physician advice. Keep both handy and may need to be used whenever there are flare-ups.

4. Maintain a diary and write down whenever she gets allergic symptoms, when she goes to some new place, when she opens any old book, garden, pollen, any relation to the food she eats, linens, beddings, etc.

5. Keep house and surroundings extremely clean and tidy.

6. Stop exposure to smoke, pollution dust, and direct cold air.

Do revert back to me for further support and help. It is important the kid has a healthy childhood for appropriate development physically and mentally.

|