Q. My son often suffers with dry cough. Why?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My son is 5.6 years old. He is having dry cough for the last 8 to 10 weeks. It is very often worse at night. Also, he had a bad ulcer and pain. He also had a dry cough twice last year, but not this bad. Please advise.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• As per your history, that the cough is more at night and lasts for a long time this seems to be a case of hyperactive airway disease.
  • This disease causes problems, mainly during changes in weather and lasts till the age of up to 8 years to maximum 12 years in children.
  • The severity of the disease may be either very mild or so severe that the child may require admission. These episodes can occur up to six times per year.
  • Treatment is started in such cases initially with normal cough, cold medications and nebulizations and then shifted over to oral preventive medicines like tablet Montelukast to be taken at 8 PM sharp. The course of tablet Montelukast may continue for up to 5 years in total with every six monthly follow up for dose modifications as required.
  • If no relief is found after the use of Montelukast, then inhaler therapy with Duolin (Salbutamol and Ipratropium) and Budecort (Budesonide) is started as per requirement.
  • All these medicines are preventive medicines. They do not cure the disease. They only try to prevent and reduce the severity of the disease.
  • This disease usually goes away on its own by a maximum of 12 years in 99% children. In hardly 1% children, this disease may progress on to adulthood and may last lifelong.
  • Proper physical evaluation by a physician and a regular follow up is required to start these medications.

For further information consult a child health specialist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

|