Q. Hypertension medicines are causing side-effects. What medication to take?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md. and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Hypertension or Betablocker? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have hypertension and also suffer from asthma. I have been prescribed ARBs. However, I have experienced respiratory side effects (dyspnea) that lead me to discontinue the medication. The side effects are class effect and all drugs from this class will have these effects. I cannot use ACE Inhibitors or ARBs or beta blockers due to asthma. I can only use CCBs and/or diuretics. Regarding CCBs, I have tried Amlodipine but felt much fatigue, then Nifedipine XL that caused intolerable headaches. Then I have been suggested to use Felodipine but it is not available in my country. Finally, I have been prescribed Dilzetem 90 mg BID + low dose Hydrochlorothiazide (12.5 mg). However, I can no longer take HCTZ because it causes me severe sciatica. In my country, the medication Clortalidone is not available. What should I take instead of HCTZ? The Diltiazem alone cannot help me. My current blood pressure shows 150/95 mmHg and pulse rate 87 per minute. Should the dose of Diltiazem be adjusted? Or perhaps another medication should be added? Thanks in advance for your response.