Common "Hyperuricemia" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Hyperuricemia

Hyperuricemia is when a high uric acid level in the tissues and blood occurs when the body either produces too much uric acid or cannot excrete enough of it. Hyperuricemia can lead to health problems such as gout (a type of arthritis characterized by severe pain, redness, and tenderness in joints) and kidney stones (a painful condition characterized by the buildup of tiny, hard deposits in the kidneys and is often painful when passed). Dietary changes, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and corticosteroids may help relieve inflammation and pain in gout, while pain medications and surgery may help treat kidney stones.