Q. What are the ways to treat IBS?

Dr. Nitin Dongre
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 06, 2020

I suffer from IBS about twice a month. I began with pain on left side of chest and left side of tummy. It then goes across the bottom of tummy. I then clear my bowels starting with constipation then followed by very soft stools until I empty. Once emptied I am usually fine with just a tender tummy. Today is so different. I am still having terrible spasms by belly button and both sides of tummy as well as radiating back ache at same time. I feel sick as I do not want food either. I am using a hot water bottle right now. Will this pass eventually?

Dr. Nitin Dongre

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

You did not mention what medicine at present you are taking. IBS is a type of autoimmune disorder where you're body's defense system works against you why it is considered to be genetics origin so first of all you should keep in mind that you have to adjust your routine, diet daily activities Medicine are there but they are having very limited actions one of that is Equirex tablet three times a day at leat for 10 days. Fiber rich food like fresh fruits, avoiding stress are one of the important habit choices which helps you much better way. Let us start with this then we see what is the result and where we stand.

| 

I was diagnosed with IBS many years back. How to get rid of its symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 42 year old male, who weighs 210 lbs, and I am 5.11 feet tall. I have been having severe digestive and related symptoms for quite some time. I was diagnosed with IBS many years ago, but I would like a second opinion. My symptoms include severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue,...  Read Full »

What does the stress echo test taken for chest pain indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past few weeks, my mother aged 65 is experiencing chest pain or slight discomfort only when she walked for a while. We consulted the medicine doctor and he recommended the stress echo test which we got done. The test comes out to be positive but not strongly positive. We need ...  Read Full »

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Symptoms, Causes and Treatment

Article Overview: Irritable bowel syndrome is one of the annoying gastrointestinal tract diseases because of the chronic nature of the disease and the variety of symptoms that can interfere with your daily life. Read Article

Dr. Mahmoud Abdallah Elashkar

Irritable bowel syndrome is a functional disturbance of colonic motility without organic causes. IBS is characterized by abdominal pain and altered bowel habits. Causes:  Unknown, but psychological disturbance plays a role. Symptoms: IBS is known to have a long history with long interval pe...  Read Article