Q. Why is my diabetic father feeling fatigue, lost appetite and lost sleep?

Dr. Chandra Shekhar
Published on Apr 03, 2018

My father is feeling fatigue, lost appetite, and lost sleep. We have visited multiple doctors. Being diabetic, we suspected diabetic neuropathy and visited a neurologist. As part of tests, he has taken X-ray also and identified pleural effusion and referred to a pulmonologist with HRCT scan of lungs and GeneXpert sputum. Pulmonologist suggested AFB smear also. HRCT shows effusion, but AFB smear and GeneXpert are negative. Kindly help.

Dr. Chandra Shekhar

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

All are going towards tuberculosis but if you send me the film pictures then I can say anything. I do not believe in report statements.

For more information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

I have attached the films of X-ray and CT scan.

Dr. Chandra Shekhar

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

It is tuberculosis due to the immunocompromised state by diabetes. Kindly go for sputum GeneXpert. If sputum is not produced, then bronchoscopy is necessary and bronchoscopy guided sputum is extracted and sent to GeneXpert.

Am I suffering from tuberculosis? Please clarify from my CT report.

Query: Hello doctor, My recent chest x-ray showed some suspicious infiltrates in the lung. I am currently under thyroid cancer treatment. I got two CT scans done for both neck and chest. I have attached both reports here. Please help me in clarifying few terms which I did not follow. I would like to know, ...  Read Full »

My daughter has tumors in the heart. What are the chances of survival?

Query: Hello doctor,My daughter is in the ICU with pericardial effusion and multiple tumors. The fluid has been drained and there was blood mixed with the fluid. The regular blood test came back normal with no sign of cancerous cells. My question is, what are the chances that the tumors are benign? Through...  Read Full »

How can I get tested to find out if I am MRSA positive?

Query: Hi doctor, Yesterday, I was in contact with a MRSA patient. He put his hand on my head to pray for me about 3 minutes or so. He did not touch me anywhere else, and I had my gown and gloves on. He was diagnosed with MRSA by nasal swab. Am I infected? How can I get tested to find out if I am? I know t...  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now