Q. My 4 year old daughter's tooth is infected and paining. Is it necessary to get it extracted?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on May 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2021

My 4 year old daughter got a cavity filled a month back. But now, she is complaining that the same tooth is paining, and there is a big swelling around the infected tooth. So, we went to the dentist, who gave her antibiotics for seven days. He wants to extract the infected tooth, and he took many x-rays of the tooth. Is this the common course of action? If antibiotics work well and the infection is healed, is removing the tooth necessary? Thank you.

#

• At 4 years, we never advise getting the tooth extracted. If the tooth is infected, we perform a procedure called as pulpectomy. Here we remove the infected portion of the pulp, and replace it with a filling or place a small crown to save the tooth until the patient is 10 years old.
  • Do not get it extracted, but ask your dentist to perform this procedure or go to a pedodontist.
  • If the tooth is totally destroyed, then sometimes we suggest to get it extracted, and we place a space maintainer to keep that space open for succeeding tooth to erupt.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|