Medicines that destroy or restrict the growth of bacteria, and thus treat bacterial infections, are called antibiotics. They are only used to treat bacterial infections and cannot fight viral infections. Some commonly used antibiotics are Amoxicillin, Cephalexin, Clindamycin, Metronidazole, Azithromycin, Norfloxacin, and Ciprofloxacin.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Why do I have indigestion and pain in the left side of the abdomen?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 51 year old male, who has diabetes. For my diabetic problem, I am using Insulin Human Actrapid daily 10 units. Therefore, I am getting weak and getting fits. So far, I have had five fits. I got CT scan of the brain, and there was a small blood clot in the brain. I also have pain...  Read Full »

Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I went through all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have a urinary infection, which is causing all your symptoms of vomiting and abdominal pain. The kidney are not removing toxins from your body and its accumulation is causing all sympt...  Read Full »

What causes testicular pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 27 years old. I have mild pain in right testicle for a week. The nerves connecting to the right testicle are always in strain mainly in the area of epididymis and vas deference. It pains when I walk, jump, rub or masturbate. I get random swelling, irritation and pain in my right test...  Read Full »

Dr. Saurabh Subhash Pandya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to From your symptoms, I believe you are having one of the following: Chronic inflammation of prostate (prostatitis) with pain being referred to testis. Pelvic pain syndrome with primary involvement of testis. If it is prostatitis then treatment with antibiotics for t...  Read Full »

I have tested positive for the hepatitis B virus. How to get rid of the virus from my bloodstream?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20-year-old and have tested positive for the hepatitis B virus. So, I want to know if there is anything I can do to get rid of the virus entirely from my bloodstream.   Read Full »

Dr. Archana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern and will try to help you resolve your problems. If you tested hepatitis B positive, kindly get yourself treated with antibiotics. Ask your physician to treat you with antibiotics depending on your weight, and dosed accordingly. Antibodies us...  Read Full »

I have been suffering from swelling since I have done bone grafting for the implant. Is that swelling normal?

Query: Hi doctor, I have bone grafting done for the implant of my top four central teeth. It was done under general anesthesia, and a molar was extracted to get some bone. I have considerable swelling now. However, the pain is reducing and also taking antibiotics. Is that much swelling normal? Please adv...  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thank you for your query. I have reviewed your reports (attachment removed for protecting the patient's identity). There will be swelling for five days to a week because of inflammation. However, the swelling looks normal as your submandibular spaces look fine, and the...  Read Full »

A high WBC count was seen in the CBC report. Is it because of antibiotics?

Query: Hello doctor, I am pregnant and in my second trimester. I had a strep throat infection seven days earlier. I took Amoxicillin for three days (three times a day). The fever and symptoms are gone. After two days, I had a complete blood count and finished my antibiotics course. The CBC report showed a ...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and can understand your concern. Please provide further details regarding your present symptoms and the CBC (complete blood count) report. CBC is to be done before starting the antibiotics and not after, as the antibiotics may affect the report. ...  Read Full »

I have been anxious because I suspect that I have IBS. Can I start taking probiotics and focus on exercise instead of antibiotics?

Query: Hello doctor, Is it fine to stop Satrogyl after one dose since I have finished five days of antibiotics, four days of Oflotas Oz, and one day of Satrogyl O. I have been anxious before eating out for five days ago with work stuff, and I have already been suspected of IBS before? Is it okay for me to ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ghulam Fareed

Answer: Hello, Welcome to A total of five days of antibiotics is good if you feel your symptoms have improved for which you are taking it. IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) has a very close relationship with anxiety and stress. I would suggest probiotics, but I can not assure you about herbal pr...  Read Full »

Can you get hantavirus infection on exposure to mouse feces?

Query: Hello doctor, I was exposed to mouse poop. It was in my clothes, drawers and on the floor. The mouse was in my apartment. I swept it up. I was exposed to them for about three weeks. It has been 27 days since I have been around them, but today I am getting cough and scratchy throat. Does this soun...  Read Full »

Dr. Srivastava, Sumit

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Hantavirus is mainly transmitted to people when you breathe in air contaminated with the virus especially when fresh rodent urine, droppings, saliva or nesting materials are stirred up; tiny droplets containing the virus get into the air. Normal incubation period is...  Read Full »

What can I give to my 2.5-year-old for a stomach ache?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 2.5 years old. For a week, he is complaining of stomach pain. After farting he is fine. Our family doctor recommended one antibiotic for five days and a medicine to avoid vomiting. He had small vomits twice, but later it was fine. Now, after completing the course of medicine he ...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I can understand your concerns. Complain of abdomen pain with vomiting suggests that your child probably has acute gastroenteritis or food poisoning. Since, antibiotic is already given and now there are no loose stools or vomiting, there is no need to give antibiotic a...  Read Full »

My 14-year-old daughter suffers from UTI since childhood. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,My daughter is 14 years old and has had UTIs since she was at a very young age. We have taken her to doctors, and they put her on antibiotics which do not work, or at least not long enough. She drinks plenty of water every day and does physical activity daily. We are stuck with no treatmen...  Read Full »

Dr. Raja Ramesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to From the history you gave, it seems that she has a genetic susceptibility to urinary infections. Other reasons could be neurogenic bladder dysfunction, undiagnosed reflux disease, ureterocele and other anatomic causes. Use of daily low dose antibiotic prophyl...  Read Full »

I have urinary tract infection and Septra did not help. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I want to know the next steps I need to take for a UTI that has been treated with Septra that did not work, and then with Ceftriaxone IV followed by 400 mg of Norfloxacin BID. With both medications, I saw an initial improvement for 24 hours. Unfortunately, urine culture was not perform...  Read Full »

Dr. Ankush Jairath

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I read your query, and I can understand your concern. It would be best if you had culture-specific antibiotics. I would suggest starting empirical therapy comprising antibiotics, anti-inflammatory, and alpha-blockers. 1) Tablet Levofloxacin 500 mg at bedtime for five ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.