Q. What causes swelling behind the last tooth?

Answered by
Dr. Naveen Thomas
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

Hello doctor,

I have a slight swelling on the skin in my mouth near my back teeth. It is slightly bigger than the other side. It has been there since three days. Though it does not hurt, there is some irritation when I eat or drink. I am not aware whether I bumped it while brushing. If so, then it should have been sore. I do not have any other symptoms. Please help.



Welcome to

  • I think you are having infection in the area and it got swollen.
  • You should ask your dentist to either do a small surgery to remove the inflamed flap or just some cleaning of the area might be enough.
  • Take some antibiotic and anti-inflammatory if required.

For further doubts consult a dentist online -->

Hi doctor,

Is it something related to wisdom tooth? Because, I had mine removed as a teen. So, I am worried whether this is normal or not. I did not know how food could get trap in that area and impact it or cause an infection. Will Oral B mouthwash help? Or anything can I do to see if it goes down? Please help.



Welcome back to

  • Mostly it has nothing to do with lower wisdom teeth.  Did you extract the upper wisdom tooth on that side?
  • Sometimes, upper wisdom teeth start growing down because of loss of lower tooth and starts hitting gums may cause swelling.
  • I cannot see the upper jaw in the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Also, we need to rule whether you have any part of the wisdom tooth still remaining.
  • A good x-ray of the area would give a better diagnosis.
  • Still, a mouthwash like you said might be enough to heal the inflammation.

Revert back with the asked details to a dentist online -->

Hello doctor,

I had all four wisdom teeth taken out. I had several x-rays and follow ups since then. Please guide.



Welcome back to

  • Then it is nothing to be worried about. By the look it appears to be not infected.
  • It is just a thick gum formed over the area which can be sometimes asymmetric to other side. You do not have to be worried.
  • Use mouthwash as required. Fibrous growth in that region is common.
  • If it is painful, then take an anti-inflammatory. Else do not bother, a mouthwash is enough.

For further information consult a dentist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Two of my wisdom teeth are impacted. Is it better to remove?

Cavities or tooth decay is chronic infections that spread further at a slow rate in most cases ... Could this possibly be due to the cavities or the wisdom tooth ...   Read full

What is the treatment for facet hypertrophy?

.. mentioned that you are 28 years of age and have continuous lower back pain which I think is not responding to the medications and conservative management. Normally at this age, conservative management in the form of anti-inflammatory medications, ...   Read full

Should I get my wisdom teeth removed?

Hello doctor, I have wisdom tooth ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Managing Diabetes During Festive Season
All the festivals are indirectly a danger sign for diabetic patients. Read this article to know more about how to handle...  Read more»
What You Should Eat and Drink for A Healthy Life!!
Food is essential for our survival, and what we eat definitely impacts our health. We can easily reduce the risk of many...  Read more»
What Is ADHD and How Is It Managed?
This article discusses ADHD, whether it is a real condition, features of ADHD, how to recognize and manage this common c...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.