Q. I still have painful bruises a year after iron injections. What needs to be done?

Dr. Smrita Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 01, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 14, 2020

I am a 55 year old female. 12 months ago, I was given four iron injections in my buttocks alternating over four weeks. There is staining area of about six inches on each side which is fading. However, on the top and bottom edges of the stained area is a blue bruise which is as painful as if the injection were done a week ago. The bruises are painful to touch and ache without touch and hurt when I sit. I have asked three doctors and have been told they have no idea. The bruises are not getting any better and I was wondering why they are there and is it something that needs further investigation. I have no health issues other than managed hypertension.

#

The staining is due to the iron itself which leaked into the skin while it was being injected. The technique of giving the iron injections was not correct since neither discoloration nor bruising should have occurred.

Nothing can be done to resolve this but they are usually seen to go away on their own. The complete resolution takes time, sometimes up to few years.

Regular massage has been shown to hasten recovery in few cases. You could try hot fomentation to get some relief from the pain.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|