Q. What is the treatment measure followed to cure insomnia with RLS?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 29, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2021

I am a 16-year-old girl. I have not done any meditations yet, as I am aware that I am still too young to have one. Still, I cannot let it pass this time as I am afraid I would not get the potential growth within me, not just physically but mentally, because I always had a rough day and unproductive times to feel good every day. I researched and found out that I am not only suffering from insomnia but also RLS too or restless legs syndrome. I have been sick of this cycle of a mine. I want to sleep as much as possible, but I just could not. My eyes are tired, but still, I always wake up early at dawn. I feel bad for myself, and I am worried like sick to my health. Kindly help me.

#

You may have insomnia with RLS. The first thing avoid all caffeinated drinks and carbonated drinks. Eat banana or egg or drink milk before bed. It will provide plenty of tryptophan which leads to melatonin hormone production, and it leads to sleep. Take a warm water bath after an evening walk, and then you will get good sleep. Restless leg syndrome itself causes insomnia. Cause of restless leg syndrome is iron deficiency anemia, excessive caffeine intake, anxiety, and Vitamin D deficiency. So use Melatonin tablet 3 mg before bed for best relaxation. Please get it done complete blood picture, serum electrolytes, and thyroid profile. Review with reports or consult with your physician. He will examine and treat you accordingly. I hope this was helpful.

|