Q. I have insomnia with weird emotional state and negative thoughts. How to deal with it?

Dr. Parth Nagda
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 06, 2020

I have insomnia and for the past two years. I have been experiencing a weird emotional state. I decided to seek online advice and then go to a doctor once I confirm what I am going through.

I cry almost every day for no particular reason, I have anger issues and frequent headaches. Whenever I am walking on the road I feel a weird urge to go right in front of a vehicle, and for the past one month it has increased a lot and I have not inflicted any self-harm if that is one question which might arise in your mind, but a year back I did try to cut my wrist with the help of a blade but later realized that it is lame to do as my life is very important. But a sudden turn of events in my life has caused a very weird emotional situation for me. I completed my 12th last year and now I am in my first year of law. I try to avoid people as much as I can and avoid going to college as well and I do not know the reason why I cry so much. I hope you can help me.

Dr. Parth Nagda

Psychiatry
#

You seem to have an anxiety type disorder mixed with depressive episodes. You will need to visit a psychiatrist and he will prescribe you SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) type of medicines which will help with your problem. It basically happens when some neurotransmitters such as serotonin reduce in your brain leading to a problem with handling the day to day stresses of life. Medicines are usually given for two to four months and then tapered off slowly and stopped.

The medicines I have mentioned are usually prescribed by psychiatrists. Apart from those, you can take Melatonin 5 or 10 mg. It is available in any decent pharmacy over the counter and does not need a prescription. You can try taking that daily at night. Apart from that, you can try some sleep hygiene methods like

1. Maintain good temperature, no noise or light.

2. One hour prior to bed, wind down and try reading or music.

3. Do not use the laptop, TV or phone one hour prior to bed.

4. Avoid caffeine, alcohol or tobacco two hours prior to sleeping.

5. Avoid exercises three hours before sleeping.

6. Take warm milk at bedtime.

7. Go to bed only when sleepy and avoid other activities on bed.

8. Use the bed only for sleeping or sex.

If you do not get sleep, do not toss and turn, get up, go to another room, walk about for 10 to 15 minutes and come and lie down. See for 10 minutes, if not sleepy go out again. Try deep breathing exercises, progressive muscle relaxation techniques, or yoga or meditation. It will also help.

|