Insulin Dependent Diabetes

Kindly guide how to reduce the insulin units in insulin dependent diabetes.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 42 years old with type 1 diabetes for the last 21 years. I am also on dialysis thrice a week, and my insulin requirement increasing day by day. I was taking 8 units per meal four years ago, but now I am having 40 units per meal. Kindly guide how to decrease the insulin units.  Read Full »

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The fact remains that you are probably having insulin-dependent diabetes. In this case, your sugars will rise. This is because the pancreas produces a lesser and lesser amount of insulin on their own. As that happens, the need for insulin will keep climbing. There a...  Read Full »

Is there any possibility to get treated with oral therapy for diabetes while on Insulin?

Query: Hello doctor,I had been diagnosed as a person with diabetes before 10 years. Now I am taking Amaryl MV 2 bd dosage. Still, my rbs is around 250 to 270. What I need to do? Is there any possibility that I can avoid insulin therapy and by oral therapy only I can be treated? And now I think I am facing...  Read Full »

Dr. Qazi Mujahid Ali

Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are facing complications of diabetes, to control sugar you can take Glimipride 3 mg before breakfast and Sitagliptin Metformin 50/500 mg twice daily after breakfast and dinner. Avoid junk food, fatty meals, and deep-fried items along with sugary drinks. Brisk wal...  Read Full »

What are the diet restrictions for gestational diabetes?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 22 weeks pregnant. It is a dichorionic diamniotic twin pregnancy. Her fasting sugar level is 6.9. The doctor suggested taking insulin injection. Is it safe to take insulin during pregnancy? Could you suggest some tips to follow or any diet recommendations, please? Also, we ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Insulin is safe in pregnancy, but I need some clarification with respect to the fasting blood sugar values. If it is 69 mg%, then it is normal. I would like to see her blood sugar reports of the tests which were done previously or the result of the glucose tolerance te...  Read Full »

My 2 year old kid's sugar levels are out of control. Please guide us.

Query: Hello doctor, My 2 year old daughter was diagnosed diabetic and I am giving four units of Lantus and two boluses Novo rapid for each meal three times. But still, her sugar levels are not in control. We give her low-carb and proper diet. What should we do now as none of the doctors we consulted are a...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. From what you have mentioned, it appears that your daughter has insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and you are concerned about her high blood sugar. I would request that you record for three days her fasting blood sugar (FBS), two hours post m...  Read Full »

My premature baby has high sugar levels. I am worried. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife delivered a baby boy two months prematurely and he was underweight (1.210 kg). The reason was almost nil movement of the fetus and very less fluid in the fetus (3.5 to 4).After the delivery, the doctor said that all the other parameters of the baby like the height of the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The possible reasons for diabetes are a lack of development of insulin response due to prematurity, in which case it will improve with time. Another possibility is sepsis, that will subside with antibiotics. The less likely possibility is a congenital absence of the...  Read Full »