Q. What are the diet restrictions for gestational diabetes?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Hello doctor,

My wife is 22 weeks pregnant. It is a dichorionic diamniotic twin pregnancy. Her fasting sugar level is 6.9. The doctor suggested taking insulin injection. Is it safe to take insulin during pregnancy? Could you suggest some tips to follow or any diet recommendations, please? Also, we have noticed that in the ultrasound scan report, there is a comment 'decreased end diastolic flow in the UMA now' for both the fetuses. What does this mean?

#

• Insulin is safe in pregnancy, but I need some clarification with respect to the fasting blood sugar values. If it is 69 mg%, then it is normal. I would like to see her blood sugar reports of the tests which were done previously or the result of the glucose tolerance test.
  • A decreased diastolic flow in the umbilical artery suggests a decreased flow of blood to the babies. Please follow up with your obstetrician for further monitoring of the fetuses.
  • If she has been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, she needs to follow a sugar restricted diet, rice, sweets, high caloric foods and fruits like mango. She can take chapatis, vegetables, salads, apple, citrus fruits, Marie biscuits or digestive biscuits.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|