Q. What are the diet restrictions for gestational diabetes?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
Published on May 16, 2018

Hello doctor,

My wife is 22 weeks pregnant. It is a dichorionic diamniotic twin pregnancy. Her fasting sugar level is 6.9. The doctor suggested taking insulin injection. Is it safe to take insulin during pregnancy? Could you suggest some tips to follow or any diet recommendations, please? Also, we have noticed that in the ultrasound scan report, there is a comment 'decreased end diastolic flow in the UMA now' for both the fetuses. What does this mean?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Insulin is safe in pregnancy, but I need some clarification with respect to the fasting blood sugar values. If it is 69 mg%, then it is normal. I would like to see her blood sugar reports of the tests which were done previously or the result of the glucose tolerance test.
  • A decreased diastolic flow in the umbilical artery suggests a decreased flow of blood to the babies. Please follow up with your obstetrician for further monitoring of the fetuses.
  • If she has been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, she needs to follow a sugar restricted diet, rice, sweets, high caloric foods and fruits like mango. She can take chapatis, vegetables, salads, apple, citrus fruits, Marie biscuits or digestive biscuits.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

To avoid diabetes during pregnancy, what diet should have to follow?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 weeks pregnant. This weekend I had my glucose tolerance test (3 hours) and on which I failed badly. My fasting numbers were 172, 325 and 318. I know they are bad, but my doctor never told me to follow a strict diet of three to five days prior to the test. In my pregnancy, I ...  Read Full »

I take insulin, but my sugar levels are high. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, How are you? I am a 54 year old male. Nowadays, my sugar level is very high. Every day, I inject 28 units of insulin, 16 units in the morning before food and 12 units in the evening before food. But, my sugar levels are at 255 mg. I want to know if I should increase the shot of insulin...  Read Full »

Is brown rice good for a diabetic patient?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 38 year old male. My height is 6 feet height and weight is 90 kg. I have been a hypertensive for the past ten years. My fasting sugar generally comes in the range of 100 to 130; PP 140 to 170 and A1c level is 6.6. Should I start medicine for this? For hypertension I am taking Losar...  Read Full »