Q. My glucose is normal, but my insulin seems too high. Is this of concern?

Dr. Rabbanie Tariq Wani
Published on Feb 19, 2018

I have recently done a glucose tolerance test, where insulin levels were measured on 0 minutes, 60 minutes, and 120 minutes. The results are:

• 0 Minute: Glucose 4.74 mmol/l, Insulin 11.2 uIU/ml.
  • 60 Minure: Glucose 8.71 mmol/l, Insulin 104.3 uIU/ml.
  • 120 Minute: Glucose 5.07 mmol/l, Insulin 13.16 uIU/ml.

I can see that the glucose is within normal reference numbers, but on 60th minute the insulin seems too high. Is it? What are the reference numbers for insulin on the 60th minute? Is this a sign of insulin resistance? What would you recommend as a treatment?

#

I would like to see the image of your reports and would also like to know, have you undergone the HbA1c test. How long you have been diabetic, have you been on oral antidiabetics.

Revert with more information to a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Thank you for your answer. I am attaching the image. I am not diabetic, at least I have not been diagnosed. I do not have a HbA1c test and I have not taken any medications so far.

#

I have seen your lipid profile test (attachment removed to protect patient identity), OGTT (oral glucose tolerance test), and insulin levels. Whatever is being reflected from the investigation reports you have sent me, we need to control your cholesterol level. Yes you seem to lie in IFG (impaired fasting glycemia) category.

Since you are in the high-risk category because of your deranged BMI (body mass index), you have a higher weight and need to achieve a target of at least 78 kg of weight in three months. That will help bring down your cholesterol, BMI and control your deranged blood sugar.

Just remember, you are a young chap, if you do not change your lifestyle now, it will lead to early onset of diabetes, obesity, and dyslipidemia. Therefore, I am starting you on an exercise regimen and only one medication to check and bring down your deranged parameters.

I suggest:

• Thyroid profile (T3, T4, TSH, fT3, and fT4).
  • Brisk walk five days a week.
  • Tablet Rosuvastatin 5 mg once daily after lunch for four weeks.
  • Reduce oil and fats, stop junk food.

Follow up after four weeks with:

1. Kidney function test.
  2. Liver function test.
  3. Lipid profile.
  4. Thyroid profile.
  5. Fasting blood sugar.
  6. Oral glucose tolerance test.
  7. HbA1c.

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Can I take Insulin to control blood sugar?

Query: Hi doctor,I am having high blood glucose. My fasting blood sugar is 153, postprandial is 175 and before dinner 152. My doctor advised Janumet 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Sulisent in the morning. Shall I take it? Presently, I am having Invokana 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Reclid...  Read Full »

Please suggest a cure for dark skin around pubic region.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20 year old male. I have type 1 diabetes for the past seven years. I am using Insulin pump with Novo Rapid insulin for 4 years now. From the past six months, the skin around my pubic region is becoming dark. It is not itchy, but it is dark compared to the whole body complexion...  Read Full »

Why am I urinating more than 10 times a day?

Query: Hi doctor, I have to pee a lot of times a day though I do not have to wake up at night to go to the toilet. I have control over pressure, but I have to go more than 10 times a day. Also, I have to pass the stool after every meal. Why?  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now