Q. Is it necessary to use four eye drops to control eye pressure?

Dr. Shikha
Published on Sep 29, 2016

Four eye drops are used in combination to control eye pressure in case of glaucoma. They are Dorzolamide, Timolol, Brimonidine and Xalatan. In what sequence with how much gap should they be given to control eye pressure? Also for controlling afternoon pressure, either Dorzolamide or Brimonidine, which is better? Should I give Dorzolamide three times or Brimonidine three times?

Dr. Shikha

General Practitioner Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• It is necessary to use more than one drop when intraocular pressure is not controlled by a single drug. Every drug you mentioned has a different mechanism of action. It is good till IOP is controlled with medical management.
  • Each drug is having different mechanism and one drug does not interact or interfere with others mode of action or effect.
  • Time of day for better efficacy is not proved for all drugs. It is good to use Xalatan (Latanoprost) at night before sleep. The rest of them you have to use two times a day.
  • You can use Timolol first, followed by Brimonidine with a gap of at least 10 minutes. Then, followed by Dorzolamide again with a gap of 10 minutes.
  • Do not use them three times. Use Dorzolamide and Brinzolamide only two times.
  • For evening pressure, do eye massage or rubbing with palm light-handedly after washing with clean water. Other medicines have to be followed as such.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Can high eye pressure damage the optic nerve?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 65 years old. I developed partial retinal detachment in the right eye. An urgent surgery was done and a silicone oil has been filled. This happened around two months back. The vision field is restored and the retina is reported to be well attached. But, about two weeks back the pres...  Read Full »

Can you compare two images of fundus and tell me if there is progression?

Query: Hello doctor,I need comparison analysis of two fundus photos to check if they are/are not showing signs of progression. Patient is on Xalatan, Timolol, and Dortas.  Read Full »