Intrauterine Fetal Demise

What does vaginal bleeding during the sixth week of pregnancy mean?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 6 weeks pregnant. From last two days, I am having light bleeding. I could see the bleeding when I clean the area with a tissue, but I do not see any bleeding in the sanitary pad. Yesterday I got an ultrasound, and it showed pregnancy sac and a fetus with heartbeats. The doctor said t...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Frankly speaking, the bleeding is not normal, and obviously, this carries a higher risk for miscarriage or demise of the fetus. Your ultrasound also showed subnormal growth of the fetus. Now you are apprehensive and want to know whether this can be managed, and bleedi...  Read Full »

How long is it safe to wait to normally deliver a dead fetus after 26 weeks of pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My sister is 26 weeks pregnant, and today they found that the baby's heartbeat has stopped. It has already been more than 12 hours since the baby passed away, but the doctors are waiting for normal delivery. My sister has a fever now. Is it safe for to wait? The doctors are trying to ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your sister's loss. Please do not worry about the treatment that is going on, your doctor is doing the right thing. I know all of you are mentally disturbed about the loss, but this is the right thing. This is the tough part to explain to the mother an...  Read Full »

What is small gestational sac syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, What is a small gestational sac syndrome? What causes this and what is the treatment?  Read Full »

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Small gestational sac syndrome was present before a fetal death in 10.7 % of the cases, and in 24 % in which the karyotype was normal. We conclude that small gestational sac syndrome is an infrequent but important complication of early pregnancy, which occurs more ofte...  Read Full »

My recent scan showed intrauterine fetal demise. Is there any way to get the baby back?

Query: Hi doctor, I am ten weeks pregnant, and my ultrasound report showed a single intrauterine gestational sac in the uterus. A small yolk sac and a small fetal pole are seen in the gestational sac, with good cardiac activity. Bilateral ovaries are normal in size, shape, and echotexture, and CRL is 4.5...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi,  Welcome to icliniq.com. I am very sorry for your loss. Once the scan says no cardiac pulsations, all you can do is cross confirmation with a scan at a different center. If the second scan is also giving the same finding, then you have to accept it. Then all we can do is not to lose hope, you...  Read Full »