Q. My recent scan showed intrauterine fetal demise. Is there any way to get the baby back?

I am ten weeks pregnant, and my ultrasound report showed a single intrauterine gestational sac in the uterus. A small yolk sac and a small fetal pole are seen in the gestational sac, with good cardiac activity. Bilateral ovaries are normal in size, shape, and echotexture, and CRL is 4.53 mm. It said early pregnancy of six weeks, so the doctor said to get HV injections and to repeat scan after three weeks. But, the pelvic ultrasound this month showed a single gestational sac in the uterus. A fetus is seen in the gestational sac, but the fetus does not show any cardiac or somatic activity, and CRL is 6.96 mm. It said intrauterine fetal demise. What should I do? Please help me, I want my baby back.

#

I am very sorry for your loss.

• Once the scan says no cardiac pulsations, all you can do is cross confirmation with a scan at a different center. If the second scan is also giving the same finding, then you have to accept it.
  • Then all we can do is not to lose hope, you are a young lady with a good fertility potential, proved by this pregnancy, the final result can be changed in next pregnancy. I know it is a very sensitive issue, and it cannot be forgotten, but you just have to pray for a healthy baby next time.
  • The scan showed a good healthy sac which was regular, oval, it became irregular, so some problem has occurred after that. Never blame yourself for that, it is not something which you could have changed.
  • If repeated scan also gives you the same result, your doctor can give you oral MTP (medical termination of pregnancy) kit, which can remove the sac without D and C (dilation and curettage).
  • Do not try for pregnancy for three months so that your body hormones will get back to normal, you will regain all physical and mental strength. Next is to try to find the cause, which should be done after three months, so that these pregnancy hormones do not affect the result. The following possibilities have to be ruled out. Genetic recurrence in next pregnancy is 3%, that means 97% chances of a normal baby.
  1. Uncontrolled blood sugars, get fasting and postprandial blood sugar tested.
  2. Thyroid profile.
  3. APLA (antiphospholipid antibodies) syndrome, this is the most probable cause. The mother's body rejects the baby, as it is a foreign body. Check your aPTT (activated partial thromboplastin time) and ACA (anticardiolipin antibodies). This can be corrected with injections once the baby's heart starts to beat.
  4. Do not worry about TORCH (toxoplasmosis, rubella, cytomegalovirus, herpes simplex, and HIV) infection assay, which some doctors advise, It is proved that they cause occasional fetal loss. 

Do not lose hope, you have something good waiting.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Is there no chance of getting the baby back? It is still in my stomach.

#

• As I said all we can do is confirm the diagnosis with another scan done at a different center. If the heartbeat has stopped, there is no way to restart it.
  • Trust me, be bold, take it as the worst test of bad time. Something very good is yet to come.
  • There is no medicine or treatment to get back life.

Hope I have been of some help to you, my prayers are with you.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I had already done two scans on the day I got the bad news, with a time gap of half an hour. I have attached my reports. I am waiting for one more scan after three days, as I am taking some homeopathic medicines because I have heard that in some cases, the baby's heart starts after some days. Please, I do not want to lose my baby. Is there even 1 % chance of getting him back?

#

This is the same prayer of every mother, and I too want that to happen.

• Do have the scan and see the results. I told you to have the scan for your peace of mind.
  • In the scan reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the shape of the sac which was oval and smooth at the time of heartbeats has become irregular, and this is a sign of a poor health of the baby.
  • If further confirmation is wanted, get serum beta hCG tomorrow morning, then repeat it after 48 hours, if the baby is not healthy, it will not increase by double. If it is healthy, it will double.
  • As far as I know, there is no medicine to get back life. If your faith says that there will be heartbeat after medicine, you should try it. I really wish I could advise you something to get that heart ticking, but I can only share your sorrow and can assure you that the problem can be solved in next pregnancy only.

|