Q. I have developed intrinsic yellow spots on some teeth. What is the cause?

Dr. Bharat Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 18, 2021

I am 23 years old. I have developed a kind of intrinsic spot on one of my canines. After few years, I noticed the same appearing on the other tooth. Secondly, I can see an accumulation of plaque on the inner side of the lower incisors. I do not have any other medical conditions apart from mild anemia. I have a hemoglobin level of 9 g/dL. Please suggest.

#

The first spot appears to be due to vitamin D deficiency or calcium deficiency while the second and third spots are due to extrinsic stains. I suggest you do scaling to remove the stains. However, the first one seems to be incipient caries. So observe it and please send a picture of it to confirm it. The other two are confirmed. If you have depression below the canine, then it is caries and it can cause massive damage later. Kindly treat the condition.

You can have stains due to coffee and there is food lodgement.

You need to take an X-ray of the canine.

You can have amelogenesis imperfecta.

You can have stains and incipient caries or vitamin deficiency.

You can do scaling for stains and restoration for the canine.

You can use warm saline rinses every six hours for five days.

If there is no depression below the canine, then it is vitamin deficiency. Please send a picture to confirm it and I can suggest you a treatment.

|