Q. I have yellow stains in my teeth. May I use whitening toothpastes?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on May 25, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 07, 2019

I have yellow stains in my teeth. I feel very bad before others. This problem has been there since childhood. I have attached the pictures of my stained teeth. Please advise.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

I have gone through the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It is a permanent discoloration which cannot be removed by normal means like dental scaling. It needs a treatment called lamineering of the front 4 or 6 teeth as required. In this procedure, the front side of teeth will be reduced and a ceramic laminate (covering) will be fixed permanently.

The other option is that you can also place a full ceramic crown (cap) over the 4 or 6 teeth for better durability. These treatments are a little expensive, but will provide a natural look to your teeth. There is no other permanent solution to your problem.

| 

May I use whitening toothpastes available in the market? Please suggest me a less expensive method of removing the yellow stains in teeth.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

The stains in your teeth are intrinsic stains, which means staining is inside your tooth structure. So, it cannot be removed by whitening toothpaste.

A less expensive treatment is grinding away of the yellowish part of the teeth and filling it with tooth-colored composite material. But still, it will depend upon the way it is filled aesthetically. The strength of the material is also less compared to the other two methods which I had suggested previously.

Hope your doubts are cleared.

|