Q. I have yellow stains in my teeth. May I use whitening toothpastes?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on May 25, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 07, 2019

I have yellow stains in my teeth. I feel very bad before others. This problem has been there since childhood. I have attached the pictures of my stained teeth. Please advise.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

I have gone through the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It is a permanent discoloration which cannot be removed by normal means like dental scaling. It needs a treatment called lamineering of the front 4 or 6 teeth as required. In this procedure, the front side of teeth will be reduced and a ceramic laminate (covering) will be fixed permanently.

The other option is that you can also place a full ceramic crown (cap) over the 4 or 6 teeth for better durability. These treatments are a little expensive, but will provide a natural look to your teeth. There is no other permanent solution to your problem.

May I use whitening toothpastes available in the market? Please suggest me a less expensive method of removing the yellow stains in teeth.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

The stains in your teeth are intrinsic stains, which means staining is inside your tooth structure. So, it cannot be removed by whitening toothpaste.

A less expensive treatment is grinding away of the yellowish part of the teeth and filling it with tooth-colored composite material. But still, it will depend upon the way it is filled aesthetically. The strength of the material is also less compared to the other two methods which I had suggested previously.

Hope your doubts are cleared.

Other than braces, how to close the gap between two front teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a gap between my two front teeth. I feel insecure to the point where I do not smile with my mouth wide open. I told my dentist about this. She said she cannot give me braces. What should I do? Is there anything else I can ask my dentist to give me other than braces to close my gap?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can ask your dentist to make zirconium crowns for that two front teeth like a bridge over it to close the gap. He will reduce your teeth little bit from all sides and will take an impression first and give a temporary crown for a few days. Later, when the crown i...  Read Full

What treatment choices do I have for fused front teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, My front teeth are fused together. Even smiling properly is an ordeal. What treatment choices do I have? Is there anything which is not so invasive like veneers? If extraction turns out to be the only option, will my teeth be removed from the roots? Is anything else possible? I really ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would suggest that you can go for full ceramic crowns instead of veneers. Full ceramic crowns are expensive, but they are esthetically very good. For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist  Read Full

Root Canal Treatment

Article Overview: Root Canal Treatment is a simple chairside procedure done to save the tooth that has been affected by caries severely, infecting the pulp of the tooth, and sometimes extending beyond the apex of the root of the tooth, infecting the surrounding peri-radicular tissues, and also in some other cases. Read Article

The most common complaint that the patients come up with to a dentist is toothache and the frequently heard term by them is root canal treatment. It is a simple chairside procedure done to save the tooth that has been affected by caries severely, infecting the pulp of the tooth, and sometimes extend...  Read Article