Q. Will iron tablets cause constipation?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 31, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 30, 2019

My wife who is 40 years old has hemoglobin level of 8. Which iron or other supplement should she take immediately? She regularly feels quite tired. She had the same issues during her college days too. Also, can iron tablets cause constipation? If yes, kindly suggest remedial measures. Please guide.

#

• If she is having chronic anemia then one advice would be to make sure that it is due to iron deficiency anemia indeed and not due to other deficiency or thalassemia minor.
  • If hemogram was done, red blood cell distribution width RDW of ≥15% and picture of microcytic or normocytic hypochromic anemia with anisopoikilocytosis (red blood cells of unequal size) will be indicative of iron deficiency and no other test would be needed.
  • If not so, serum ferritin and high performance liquid chromatography - HPLC to rule out thalassemia would be recommended.
  • For confirmed iron deficiency anemia, preferred medicine of choice should be Orofer XT 100 mg daily.
  • If it causes too much constipation then second preferred would be capsule Softeron (Combination of Ferrous fumarate and Folic acid), taken twice daily initially for a month and then daily for three months.
  • Hemoglobin should return to normal in four to six weeks and treatment for further 8-12 weeks will be required to replenish stores.
  • Addition of injection Vitamin B12 500 mcg or 1000 mcg to be taken on the alternate days. Four to six injections may be desired if she is a pure vegetarian.

Revert back after the tests to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|