Iron Supplement

The red blood cells in the blood contain the maximum amount of iron. Iron is essential for good health as red blood cells carry oxygen from the lungs to other tissues of the body. You might need iron supplements in conditions like iron-deficiency anemia, pregnancy, during menstruation, dialysis, excess blood loss, etc.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

How to get rid of stomach worms?

Query: Hello doctor, My child is 6.5 years old. Recently, a worm came out of her mouth alive of about 5 to 8 cm long without vomit. Doctor gave her Bandy plus and told to repeat the dosage after 14 days. Please suggest whether it is a tapeworm. What are the investigations you would like to suggest for her...  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha


Answer: Hello, Welcome to Worms in tummy are quite common in children. Please give the medication as directed by your doctor. Most of the times it gets resolved. But, if it is persisting, then we may have to repeat the course or give alternate medicine. There are many kinds of worms and it woul...  Read Full »

What does hemoglobin level of 8.9 in a 13-month-old kid indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, My 13-month-old baby has neutrophils 23, lymphocytes 73, WBC 6100, and hemoglobin level is 8.9. Is there any worry?  Read Full »

Dr. Parth R Goswami

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the Following is my opinion for your asked question regarding CBC (complete blood count) of your child. The lymphocyte count are usually high in children. So you may need not to worry about lymphocytes count. But the hemoglobin level of your child is definitely low s...  Read Full »

Can you please help me interpret my blood reports?

Query: Hi doctor, Please find my blood investigation report attached and provide me the required steps to take further. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to As per your report you have mild iron deficiency anemia. I advise you to take Iron supplements like syrup Orofer 10 mL thrice daily before food for six months. Also, your TSH level (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is slightly elevated and it is suggestive of hypothyroidism. ...  Read Full »

Are irregular periods side effects of iron tablets?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having irregular periods. My cycle is usually on the 10th of every month, but I had heavy spotting on the 19th of last month. Then, I had my normal periods on the 10th of this month. But, I had my periods today, which is 10 days earlier than the normal cycle. During mid of last month...  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. Any kind of stress or illness can cause irregular periods. If you are having irregular periods for the first time, then no need to worry. Just wait for the next cycle. If it still persists, then you nee...  Read Full »

Why do I get excessive bleeding during menstruation suddenly?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30-year-old female. I weigh about 87 kg. I am a mother of a 2-year-old kid and still breastfeeding. No history of PCOD and my periods are regular with a cycle of 28 days. I conceived after three years of marriage life. I had a natural delivery in 2018 and got my regular periods...  Read Full »

Dr. Vidyaprem

Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand your concern. The reason for your excess flow could be most probably hormonal, yet if the bleeding continues to be more in subsequent cycles then a pelvic ultrasound should be done to rule out any new pathology in the uterus. Check your Hb (hemo...  Read Full »

Please give your suggestion on my blood report.

Query: Hi doctor, I have attached my blood report here for your reference. Please have a look and give me your suggestion.  Read Full »

Dr. Sadaf Mustafa

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to It seems like you have iron deficiency anemia or a hemolytic process going and also you have low platelets. For iron deficiency anemia, I would suggest getting an iron profile, lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), hemoglobin and electrophoresis. I suggest 325 mg of Iron three...  Read Full »

Is it enough to take iron pills for 3 months for anemia due to rectal bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, My height is 5'7" and I weigh about 159 pounds. I am a male with anemia. I got a colonoscopy but they could not stop the bleeding, so I got a transfusion, and I also got another colonoscopy to make sure that the bleeding stopped. I have to get another colonoscopy between 3-6 months fr...  Read Full »

Dr. Kapil Gupta

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to You have mentioned that you had bleeding per rectum and you had gone for the colonoscopy. Can you share the report of colonoscopy so that I can know what was the cause of bleeding? It is perfectly safe for you to continue the iron medicines until the time you get an app...  Read Full »

How does eating bricks affect the uterus?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old female. Will eating bricks affect uterus? I do not have any side effects other than early periods. In the last two cycles my periods were five days earlier. Please explain.  Read Full »

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist, Naturopathy Specialist, Pharmacologist, Siddha Medicine Specialist, Toxicologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to People eat chalk piece or brick or sand due to the craving on it. This is due to anemia. Your hemoglobin (Hb) should be estimated and iron therapy should be given. Eating bricks never harm you and never affect the uterus system. But, it may lead to infection and diarrhea....  Read Full »

Is it safe to stop iron supplements for three months after attaining the normal serum value?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with anemia last month. My serum iron level was 12. I was put on Ferrous sulfate 325 mg twice a day. My doctor suspected a GI bleed because I have acid reflux that is under control with medications, but I wanted to try supplements first. I am not having any crazy GI sy...  Read Full »

Dr. Peter Grutas

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Yes, the test is still valid. The results would show the effect of increased iron intake for the past weeks that you have been taking it and a few days of not taking it will not have much effect. Not taking it for three months is still fine. I believe your doctor ...  Read Full »

Is it safe to take iron supplements while on asthmatic drugs during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 6 months pregnant now. Before pregnancy, I have been suffering through allergic rhinitis (sneezing and dry coughing). But as my pregnancy started, I got a cough with white phlegm. I wanted to avoid medicines during the first three months of pregnancy but due to late night coughi...  Read Full »

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to You should continue bronchial asthma medicines. As it is required to control your symptoms and to make you healthy. If you do not take it then the effect on baby can be worse than while you are taking. As baby growth is fine do not worry about it. Iron and calcium are ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours
Chat with a Doctor

Chat with a Doctor

Starting @ just $29.99

Search for a Health Issue


Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.