Q. Why do I feel vomiting sensation after having a contraceptive pill?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 10, 2020

I have taken morning after pill after having unprotected sex on my 1st day of periods. Feeling vomiting sensation, but there is no vomit happening. Please help me.

#

• Firstly, I would like to tell you that morning after pill was actually not required on the first day of your menses at all as you had started your period.
  • As there is no ovum to fertilize on day 1, fertilization and pregnancy would not have taken place anyway.
  • Nevertheless, as you have taken it already, the nausea that you are experiencing is because of the progesterone effect which can be easily controlled by mediation.
  • Take tablet Emset (Ondansetron) 4 mg twice a day for two days. This is an antiemetic and shall control your nausea.
  • However, I am not sure if your bleeding has stopped or continued naturally. Because under progesterone effect it should in fact decrease or stop bleeding for a few days and then can restart again by 5-7 days, thereby causing confusion.
  • Secondly please practice barrier contraception this cycle, not hormonal, to allow menses to realign for next cycle.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Hello doctor, Thanks for your generous advice. I will take these tablets. However, to keep you updated my periods got extended for 4-5 days than normal cycle with some extra menstrual cramps. Now the bleeding has stopped. So as per your diagnosis, should I be prepared for another cycle of bleeding? Ideally my menses will delay this time?

#

• If your menses has extended by 4-5 days, then it is deemed that progesterone withdrawal accompanied the natural menses and hence pregnancy is not a concern now.
  • When was your last menstrual date? And when exactly they have stopped? The reason for why I am asking is because if you are already on day14-16 of your cycle, then the nausea can happen with the ovulation time as well accompanied with mild abdominal pain and headache. So, still Ondansetron 4 mg tablet can be taken for relief twice a day for two days.
  • The next menses may be delayed by a week from your last menstrual period this time as a known side effect of morning after pill.
  • My only suggestion is to use barrier contraception this cycle and do not use another morning after pill or other oral contraceptive pill this month.
  • As you cannot rule out some spotting and brownish breakthrough bleeding in the mid cycle again during this cycle, should not consider it abnormal.

|