Q. Why do I have a lot of pain and stiffness in my knee while crouching and kneeling?

Dr. Ranjeet Singha, Pt
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 21, 2021

I am looking for advice on knee support. I had a meniscectomy ten years ago and worked as a roofer. I now have a lot of pain and stiffness in my knee, which is crouching and kneeling all day with work. I am struggling to stand back up after crouching for periods with work.

#

As per the information provided by you, it seems that you might have developed osteoarthritis of the knee. Some of the clinical features are pain, stiffness, swelling. I would suggest you avoid any activity related to your occupation of the roofing as it will aggravate your condition. Kindly start to use a knee brace to prevent any further stress on the knee. Start doing knee strengthening exercise. You can see a lot of them online. For pain and stiffness, I would suggest you apply any analgesic pain gel over the area and cover it with a hot water bag for 10-15 minutes. Avoid cross leg, sitting, squatting, prolonged standing and walking and running, and stair climbing. Also, I would suggest meeting an orthopedic or physiotherapist to do your knee examination and also tell them to prescribe an x-ray for your knee joint.

|