Q. My knee pain is so severe and it makes me impossible to walk. Kindly help.

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I have been having severe pain in my left knee for roughly three days now. It is on the inside of the knee and slightly behind the knee cap while standing and with my leg straight. When it is bent, it is on the outside of the knee too. I cannot put any weight on it, cannot walk properly without limping. It hurts to bend it and to straighten it fully. What it could be?

Do you have a question on Knee Pain or Arthritis?

Ask a Doctor Now

M.B.B.S., M.D. PSYCHIATRY
Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology

Sudden onset of pain at this generally indicates traumatic nature of suffering. It is possible that you suffered with some minor injury in last couple of days. The second possibility is an infection in which there may be redness and slight fever over the affected joint. In case both do not apply to you, there is ample possibility of arthritis. My advice is to continue analgesics along with the application of cold or ice on the affected joint. If you do not feel improved in next two-three days, seek the proper consultation from your doctor so he can examine and make a proper diagnosis.

Do Not Ignore Arthritis Symptoms!!
Article Overview: This article stresses upon the fact that, when signs of arthritis appear, one should approach a doctor as early as possible for appropriate treatment.  Read Article
Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Inflammatory arthritis is a common problem in females between the age group 20-50 years. It is characterized by swelling of the joints, early morning stiffness and pain which is constant and little relieved by work and use of painkillers. It is an autoimmune condition, i.e, body's immune system st ...  Read Article

Why do I have pain above right hip?
Query: Dear doctor, I am having pain above my right hip. It feels a little swollen and a little pain in my lower back above the right hip. I can feel the pain more when taking a breath. My lower back feels like it is burning. Give me any advice.  Read Full >>
Dr. Vaibhav Ramesh Gandhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have studied your case. As per your history, there can be hip arthritis which can be degenerative or due to avascular necrosis of femoral head (AVN). I will advise you to take an x-ray of hip again and you can consult me with the reports or with your doctor. After cl...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now