Q. I have a swollen labia after protected intercourse. What should I do?

Published on Nov 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2019

I had sexual intercourse last night with protection. Immediately after, I went to take a shower and I see that my left labia majora is swollen but painless. It is kind of weird to walk lie down or sit. It was only my second time having sex. What should I do? Is this a dangerous situation?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing? I do not see any reason for you to worry.

• The possibilities for this swelling are:
  1. You could be allergic to the latex material of the condom. So, due to the friction, the local skin is showing a reaction. Maybe, the other labia is also slightly swollen, but not as much as this one. The next time, try using a different brand of condom or a different lubricant.
  2. Being the second sexual exposure, you might have had a small trauma or minor tear of the inner lining of the labia. This does not need any medication.
  3. There is no chance of infection, as you do not have any pain or signs of inflammation.
  • All you need is some local fomentation. For two to three days, do a sitz bath. Add a large handful of salt in a tub of warm water and sit in it once or twice a day. This will remove all the edema.
  • Also, you can use medications with Serratiopeptidase or Trypsin or Chymotrypsin two to three times a day for five days. They have no side effects and will resolve the edema soon. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.
  • Preferably, avoid sex till the edema is reduced.

Hope I have clarified your query. Do write back if you have any more queries. All the best.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

What to do for bleeding piles?

Query: Hi doctor, I had my kidney transplant two months ago. Now, I am suffering from piles. Can you suggest me some medicine?  Read Full >>

Dr. Abhishek Dixit
Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Are you a donor or a recipient? I suggest you apply Smuth cream (Lignocaine) for pain and take a sitz bath. Does it bleed? Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent. Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a nephrolo...  Read Full

Why do I have vaginal tears after sex?

Query: Hello doctor, I had rough sex recently and it caused a tear in my vagina. When I use a mirror to examine myself I can see some of the cuts. It is near the entrance of my vaginal canal but not inside, positioned more towards my perineum. It has been healing for two days now and still really hurts. I...  Read Full >>

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Small superficial tears generally heal fast. Continue taking sitz bath with Betadine drops, Ibuprofen for pain but instead of Vaseline, apply some antiseptic ointment. Vaseline prevents raw ends to meet. Medical support is required, only if you develop pus, odor, discha...  Read Full

I had vaginal intercourse and condom broke. Am I at the risk of HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, Two weeks ago I had a scare. I had vaginal intercourse with a girl from the bar and the condom broke and I removed immediately. I asked her about her status and she stated clean. There was some blood on the bed from her after. I started PEP within 24 hours from the clinic, they gave m...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sushma Shah
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) is good. A sore throat is very common at this time. You can go to ENT specialist. You can have tablet Zerodol SP (Aceclofenac, Serratiopeptidase, and Paracetamol) two times a day after food for three to five days, tablet TAXIM O (Cefixime)...  Read Full