Q. Can lead stored in bones harm the fetus during future pregnancy?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 11, 2021

I am a 22-year-old female. When I was a child, I used lots of lead-containing jewelry, accessories, and dinnerware. My family members were also using lead-containing items in my house. I have not done any blood lead level tests. It has been ten years now since after getting the bulk of exposure. But I noticed some symptoms such as behavioral issues, lack of appetite, and loss of concentration during childhood. It can be related. I know that there is nothing that helps to manage my past exposure. But I am worried as it can cause harm to my fetus. I read that lead stores in the bones can remobilize to harm the fetus. How to know it? Is there a remedy to handle the situation?

#

When you have lead poisoning or toxicity, you can develop some symptoms such as rashes on the neck with itching. You can do blood tests before getting conceived. If you have it, then your doctor can prescribe some medicines to help you and mostly it will not affect your baby. If you have any other symptoms or anything, then you can do a bone scan to see for the deposits. If there are no symptoms with negative results, then there are no chances for your baby to get affected. Please mention whether you have any symptoms currently. Please mention whether any of your family members have any symptoms of lead poisoning.

|