Q. Is leukoplakia completely curable with medicines?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2019

My father went to a dentist as he had white patches in his gums and mouth. The dentist told that it is an oral leukoplakia. He asked him to stop smoking immediately. It is a serious condition which can turn into cancer. He advised stopping smoking for three months. After that, he can start the medicine. But he did not mention clearly which stage of cancer this is. No test has been done. He did not clarify if the medicine is going to cure him completely. Please help me with this. Is there any particular test to find out which stage it is in and what specific treatment would be required.

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

• Leukoplakia is a premalignant lesion. This means that it is not cancer yet and can be reversed. And hence there is no need to worry about staging.
  • If your father stops smoking, it should regress with time. And later if required, some medication can be given to further correct the situation.
  • It needs to be taken seriously. Smoking habit must be stopped now to prevent further changes and cancer formation.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

Is there no test required? Will a simple physical examination be enough? Right now, he is not smoking at all. But, is it completely curable?

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

• Yes, if it is at the stage of leukoplakia, it is reversible.
  • No test is required for it right now. However, it needs to be constantly monitored to check for any changes like roughening of skin, increase in size, redness or ulceration. If that happens, then he will need to get a simple biopsy done.

For further queries consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

Thanks for the reply. My main confusion is if, after three months of not smoking, he takes the medicine as per the doctor's advice, is that enough to completely cure this disease or will it just be controlled with medicines like diabetes?

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

• Medicines can reduce the size of leukoplakia patches. It might even remove it completely. If it does not get removed completely, it can be surgically removed. He will need to go for regular checkups as advised by the doctor.

| 

I have white patches in the throat and reddened soft palate. Is it oral cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having oral symptoms for the last six months or so. I also have been a heavy drinker for the past seven to eight years. I discontinued this in January of this year. Started in the fall of last year with allergy, cold symptoms and has continued to the present day even getti...  Read Full »

I have acidity and constipation after quitting smoking. Are these withdrawal symptoms?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 year old male and had been smoking for the last 10 years. I smoke four to five cigarettes a day. I stopped it completely for the last 36 days. Now, I am suffering with severe acidity and constipation. I am taking Sompraz 40 in the morning for the last 10 days, but no great impr...  Read Full »

Can smoking cessation cause strained bowel movements?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 39 years. I have quit smoking, cold turkey after smoking for almost 18 years. It is my 29th day of being smoke-free. Everything was going fine until last 7 to 10 days my bowel movement has been strainful. Few days I have seen very small sized hard stools and sometimes small ...  Read Full »